Best places to buy RDIMMs for WS WRX80E-SAGE + Threadripper build

Hi all,

I’m currently building a small machine learning workstation for personal use: 5965WX, 2x3090s, and Pro WS WRX80E-SAGE SE WIFI.

I’m hoping to purchase 8x32GB RDIMM 3200 modules but am having trouble finding compatible RDIMMs for the Pro WS WRX80E-SAGE SE WIFI motherboard.

Does anyone have experience purchasing the following modules online? Or have any expertise to share about doing this?
Kingston KSM32RD8/32MER
Micron MTA36ASF4G72PZ-3G2E2VG
Mircon MTA18ASF4G72PDZ-3G2E1UI

Thanks in advance for your help :slight_smile:

Which country are you located

Canada

Not sure what their shipping to Canada costs but memory.net usually has the more obscure SKUs that are harder to find.

Thanks, memory.net is the best option I have come across so far. Might go with the 4x64 GB option instead of 8x32GB, then upgrade later if need be. I don’t see any compatible 32GB RDIMMs available

M393A8G40AB2-CWE - Samsung 1x 64GB DDR4-3200 RDIMM PC4-25600R Dual Rank x4 Module

I’m in Canada and ordered my Samsung 8x32GB RDIMMs from memory.net. The customs cost was basically the equivalent of Provincial Sales Tax + GST.

The only major hiccup I had was with FedEx which somehow lost my order and it took an extra 5 days to resolve.

1 Like

Forgot to mention that they also ask you to specify which motherboard you are using in order to provide a guarantee that the memory will work on that platform, which was nice.

Sounds good, thanks for the added confidence I think ill go for memory.net then. The only thing I don’t understand is how to judge the compatibility of modules if they aren’t on the approved parts list. You say that you got Samsung 8x32GB RDIMMs but that density for Samsung isn’t on the approved list. What am I missing here?

Yeah the ASUS QVL list is clearly on the pathetic side and I now regret not mentioning that on my ratings/satisfaction questionnaire.

I first investigated the QVL lists of other WRX80 boards by Asrock, Supermicro and Gigabyte to get a much larger list of compatible memory models that were at least in theory compatible with Threadripper Pro.

Once I had the model numbers with the capacities and speed I needed for my usecase, I validated which models were also guaranteed to work with my ASUS WRX80 board on the memory.net site taking into account price.

EDIT: I just dug up the model number:
M393A4K40DB3-CWE
Samsung 1x 32GB DDR4-3200 RDIMM PC4-25600R Dual Rank x4 Module

I’ve been using 8 of these (256GB) for about 6 months and haven’t had any problems so far.

1 Like

Here’s an interesting article regarding memory scaling on Threadripper Pro (1-2-4 dimms versus 8).

That Asus board can handle 512GB fine but not 1TB

I was aware that RDIMM total limit is 512GB, but can’t you go higher if you use load reduced DIMMs?

Also, the Asus board is the one Puget Systems sells, so I’d be very surprised that it was limited to 512GB. EDIT: Actually I just checked the website and I think you may be right, they only sell up to 512GB ECC in their configurations. Bummer.

We have a thread dedicated to this very issue, one user reported they can use all but one dimm 128GB, the last one had to be 64

Actually maybe nobody has tried LR dimms, I thought I read that but maybe not

That’s a lot of reading so I’ll leave it to you guys

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.