Best mATX AM4 board

Hey…
So as I’m moving on with the Mac case mod I thought about keeping the case as an mATX case. That means to make a full build I may need a new motherboard.
Here’s the quotation of the century: What is the best AM4 mATX motherboard?
X570 is out of the question as it doesn’t support Ryzen 1000 CPUs and I have a 1700X…

At the end of the day I will just get X370M Pro4 for laughably cheap have my current motherboard in mATX form factor…

Well the question will be ¨how¨ manny m-atx board we are going to see,
in the X570 range of boards.
Till now i have only seen Asrock listing one…

M-atx for whatever reason doesn’t seem to get that much love anymore nowdays.
Its likely that we might see a few B-series m-atx boards.
But till now i have not much more info’s.

When it comes to the vrm department, there are a few ¨speculated" sources,
on reddit and such.

But i will hold on that untill the boards are actually out in the wild and,
being review’d by reputable sources.
As soon as i know more i will definitely post about it.

Buildzoid also has some video’s on certain models out already.
But no m-atx boards sofar.

2 Likes

Also if an itx board also fits the case,
then that could also be an option of course.
At least there are some decent X570 itx boards announced.
The only downside of X570 itx boards is basically that you pay,
a premium for the X570 chipset which is sorta kinda useless on itx imo.

1 Like

X570 is not an option. It doesn’t support Ryzen 1000…

MSI B450M Mortar is your best bet for B450/X470, that doesn’t cost the earth. The Mortar Titanium is the same board, just white.

Check out the Google Sheets link here if you plan to upgrade the CPU later on.

3 Likes

Oops sorry my bad, i misread the op :blush:

Let me check the 400 series boards just a sec.

Well yeah pretty much all of them are crap.
But i just checked my documentations and @Zavar is right,
The Msi B450M Mortar is kinda the best of the worst.

The price of this… Hurts me…
200 local. The Pro4 is 140 local.
PS: hmm… I can go even cheaper with the A320M Pro4 for 120… It’s the same VRM…

Don’t go with A chipsets. It’s worth the 20 monetary units to upgrade to a B chipset. Having a Ryzen 7 1700X, you might get lucky with a first generation AM4 motherboard.

I am kinda ignorant when it comes to motherboard quality, things like VRM and such, so I can’t be helpful outside “pushing” you a little to go for B350 / B450 or X370 / X470 chipsets. ASRock B450M Pro4 seems like a good option. ASRock B450M Pro4-F also seems to be an interesting motherboard. If you are looking to PCI-E passthrough, we should also look for motherboards with separated IOMMU groups, but if you’re not into that sort of thing, don’t bother looking too much into the motherboards.

2 Likes

I have the ASRock B450M Pro4. Does what it is supposed to.
Fancontroll is normal ASRock (Headers: 5x PWM)
I don’t think it supports OCing but I can check if that is of concern.

I think it has addressable RGB and two standard RGB headers (if it matters to you).

2 Likes

To be fair, I don’t really do anything special with my motherboard… I don’t OC, I don’t use Linux so I don’t do pass throughs, I don’t do anything special.

3 Likes

I too have the ASRock B450M Pro4 and like it a lot. I bought it the day it was made available on Newegg because it had VRM heatsinks and cost less than $100. I’ve looked at similar boards recently and still think it’s a great value. Not that I know of anything specifically terrible about other boards, but I have no complaints with this one. Runs fine with my 2400G. I’ve been buying similar sized boards for a long time and never had one crammed with so many I/O options.

2 Likes

It’s the only board I know running 3 phase SOC, that really helps with APUs.
In general it’s pretty features poor board. Have no post code, no debug functionality what so ever, no nothing. Just the very basics, but the very basics is all I need.

Well the Asrock B450M pro4 which @MazeFrame and @ThatGuyB mentioned about,
is also not a bad option if basically just want to run it at stock.
It’s only a 3 phase but with doubled up components on each phase.
So in that regards it should be okay for a 1700X.
When it comes to m-atx boards there isn’t really that much choice.

So yeah if the Msi Mortar is too expensive, then the Asrock B450M pro.
The Gigabyte m-atx options are totally junk.

2 Likes

So… that’s a question of mine: why all the hate with low-number motherboards? I genuinely wanted to understand .-.
Motherboards are so stupidly expensive in my lands…

1 Like

A chipset doesn’t have any OC capabilities. That means absolutely no manual setting of anything. That usually means the parts used in the motherboard are lower quality cheaper parts since there will be no extra stress with any sort of overclock.
Cheaper boards usually have the same issue - lower quality parts to keep the price lower.
Here’s a quick example:
X570 boards have PCI-e 4.0, that requires on top of higher quality PCB extra repeater hardware, because the signal is weak and it needs help to reach the far end of the board. Literally. So for one we need more expensive PCB manufacturing and extra hardware. On top of that there are 16 cores now, so the X570 boards needs super robust power delivery system, that the old B320 boards don’t really have. A320 boards are even worse… The manufacturers were saving as much as they can and 99% of the A320 boards have low quality VRM with no heatsinks, and the low quality VRMs are the ones that actually need the beefy heatsink.

And all of that completely ignoring the extra features that the more pricy boards have, like extra ports and debug LEDs and post codes and dual bios and extra fan headers and extra BIOS functionality that needs hardware on the board and so on…

1 Like

that means if I want a crazy cheap 2200G with an a320 I’ll be kinda bottlenecked by the components quality?

seems plausible… but my intention is to run gnu/linux and programming (mostly java and python) so I think maybe I shouldn’t care much about squeezing max performance since both languages are bloated anyways :man_shrugging: hahaha

Yes and no…
You won’t be able to overclock, you won’t be able to squeeze extra performance of the hardware you have. It will work just fine at stock. That is not an issue at all. Those boards are usually meant for office and what not work.
The thing with APUs is the GPU part. Some boards have one phase for the GPU and SOC VRM, and the GPU part kinda needs it’s power if you gonna use it. If you plan on playing any games better look at 3 phase boards for the SOC.

1 Like

and

I don’t intend on gaming, although I have an old r7 370 but yeah, got no time

But I do see a problem with the graphic stuff… that means an i3 9100F with a h310 (don’t know about intel’s numbers + char, but the cheapo one), with a gpu just for the image wouldn’t suffer much?

1 Like

Desktop and office work like text work and what not internet basics doesn’t matter. All of the things we talk about when we talk “this is better than that” is meant for heavy loads and what not. Every board no matter what is designed so it will work just fine on out of the box settings with no alterations.

2 Likes