Best m.2 cooler for pcie adapters?

What's the best m.2 cooler? should i just void warrenty and put copper ramsinks on? Anybody tried this Angelbird Wings PX1? Located here. https://www.amazon.com/Angelbird-Wings-PX1-PCIe-Adapter/dp/B018U79YQK/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1495106608&sr=8-16&keywords=m.2+adapter

IMO the whole m.2 heat thing is blown out of proportion. I've had my 950PRO for over a year now and never noticed any slowdown or other symptoms of overheating. Unless you're going to write the entire drive several times per day, I wouldn't worry about temperature.

3 Likes

I agree with the captain, however if you do need a cooler, the Aquacomputer KryoM.2 (passive or active) and the Alphacool HDX seem to have gotten pretty good reviews.

The M.2 Shield thing from MSI seems to have gotten some bad reviews early on, but apparently that was due to bad testing methods.

/edit
Also Aquacomputer KryoM.2 micro
There's also the Aquacomputer KryoM.2 evo, though I have no idea what's the difference to the "regular" one...
/edit2
So the Evo apparently also has a "heatsink" on the backside of the SSD and also LED lighting (orange, can be deactivated).

1 Like

If you think it is needed, just get one of those cheap copper mini heatsinks that you can just stick onto stuff.

Something like this? Yeah that would work too (there are other manufacturers obviously, just the first that came to mind).

Yeah, one of those stuck onto the controller plus a bit of airflow and done.
Memory modules can handle heat, in fact they need a bit of temps to work well.

The best cooler is a PC case with a side panel fan. They've gone out of style because people like to look at pretty lights inside of their cases. But it's one of the best solutions for increased cooling for the GPU and other expansion cards and for the M.2.

Ah can't believe that monotone speaking intern Steve Burke forgot the tape. Dang he's been getting some flak lately from ryzen review and now this MSI heat shield. Not to belittle him or anything but his videos lack enthusiasm and effort, like he's being forced to speak because everybody else is uglier than he is or something.

I've personally used three M.2 heatsinks, the Anglebird Wings PX2, the Alphacool HDX M.2 cooler and this Unit from amazon.

The PX2 is extremely well built and is a very good unit. I thought my unit was bad, but it actually turns out that my motherboard just has issues that were unrelated to the PX2. It is however a very expensive unit, and personally I would look towards the generic unit from amazon if you need something that adapts from the pcie slot to m.2.

The generic unit from amazon is well built as well. Its heatsink does just as good as of a job as the Wings PX2 at a fraction of the cost. If you need one that goes directly into the Pcie slot instead of an M.2, than this would be my recommendation.

The Alphacool HDX can be cheaply found online and is a good unit. It has heatsinks for both sides of an M.2 in the case that you have an M.2 with NAND flash on both sides of the pcb. It works extremely well and is an effective way of cooling these drives. Its not much more expensive than the copper heatsinks overs have recommended (this unit can be found for ~$15) and it works just as well in a lower profile. If you want to keep your drive in your motherboard's provided M.2 (assuming it has one that's pcie 3.0 x4 and in a good position) than this is my recommendation for that scenario.

Are you sure you need one though? Depending on drive it makes more or less sense. If you have a 960 evo or pro, then skip it. The 960's label/sticker actually has metal in it so that it can work as an effective heatsink for those drives. If you have another drive than it might make a bit more sense. Older samsung drives or other high-end M.2's do have issues cooling themselves, and hence warrant the heatsinks a bit more for longevity and sustained write consistency.

Ebay might be your friend: PCIe Fan brackets