What's a good distro you would recommend?
i use red hat for my servers
Just make your own linux OS with LFS, make your own patches, keep up to date on security trends and get people to test your OS, publish multiple patches a day, don't disclose vulnerabilities because the NSA can use that to their advantage, make linux closed-source so people don't reproduce bastard copies with sneaky backdoors, implement DRM to manage said closed source systems. Do all this along with writing drivers, and software alternatives, or don't update third party software at all because it provides a mechanism for a security breach. Or you can trust that developers and the community are double checking eachother and perfect security is unobtainable without massive tradeoffs. Not to be rude but you're a little mean to be shaming someone because they don't audit their own OS.
We need these forums to be changed to the new format, so people can start upvoting thirdmortal's snarky replies. And I mean this as a compliment.
Doesn't every distro customize their kernel? What's stopping them from changing a few lines before compiling the kernel?
I was just joking around as he stated that unless your a developer or system administrator, you don't care about backdoors. I would never make Linux closed source, nor would I implement something as evil as DRM. Honestly, if your main focus is security use Debian stable. Yes, third party software could likely have a backdoor, but the question is does the NSA use it?
However I do like the idea of daily patches.
Every distro does in fact alter the kernel. Sorry for overlooking this as I usually compile it myself. But as for the vanilla kernel, there are no backdoors. Yes, thirdmortal's replies should be up voted as his arguments are at the least fair.
Sources? I have been trying to find some on Redhat and Suse and haven't found anything beside some witch-hunt articles.
I could see it with Redhat with SELinux but Suse uses app armor.
The only other issues I have seen come from running either on Azure or Amazon which is self evident.
Agreed. We need sources as I haven't found any either. Just people who are paranoid.
The best distro is the one that's invisible. This doesn't exist yet, so I reccomend SUSE and Funtoo.
> Try to stay away from the distros that have been audited by SC's and found to be full of NSA backdoors, like RedHat, Fedora, and OpenSUSE.
Source?
..."Not to be rude but you're a little mean to be shaming someone because they don't audit their own OS."
I'm a linux developer, and I'm actually one of the nice ones - you should see what goes on outside of noob town :P
I do help here from time-to-time btw, and I do keep from saying what I am actually thinking to spare people such indignity.
Linux devs are thick-skinned because in the linux scene your code is constantly scrutinized and if you fuck up - you cop it like a man, otherwise GTFO.
I realise it's just noobs here and a few desktop users, so I don't tell people to fuck off and whatnot. I am fairly considerate lol :)
Best Linux distro? Sounds like flamebait. I'll humor you though :)
My choices are:
- Ubuntu - Great compatibility, large user-base, user-friendly... You say it is dumbing down linux xp, but I disagree. I don't know any disto that would disable tty, or terminal emulator inside DE. You can do all the things you need in both GUI and CLI, it is up to you. Personally I install and config all software (except for compiz) in terminal, as it is faster, more efficient way to go. My gf uses GUI, because she is computer illiterate, although she is learning fast.
- Debian - I use it for my RPi, school server and everywhere I need great stability, huge repositories and I don't mind older software.
- Fedora - Cutting-edge, not much else to say...
- CentOS or RHEL - Is to Fedora what Debian is to Ubuntu - amazingly stable, reliable, boring
What I dislike:
- Zorin OS and all other Windows "substitutes" - I feel like they sacrifice Linux experience in order to make a Windows clone. If you want that, stick with Windows or ReactOS.
- Linux Mint - I dislike it, because it feels like a less-polished Ubuntu. Had many strange bugs while installing it and many of users, that I converted to it like the DE, but dislike the experience...
I exclude OpenSuSE an other distros, because I haven't used them in a while and don't feel confident judging their current state.
My efforts were fruitless anyway.The person I was trying to defend thought I was directing my comment at them. What projects do you work on? I'm guessing Gentoo. If so that's pretty awesome! But really though, some people on teksyndicate probably haven't experienced extensive code reviews before, many probably don't contribute to upstream releases. I hope that changes, but nothing says that the opensource community won't become a more inviting place while maintaining it's hunger for better code and maintaining a neutral environment.
Check out http://www.linuxliveusb.com/
This has everything you need to create a live USB distro with or without persistence. Really easy to use interface with in app links to popular distributions and tool sets. If you cant find your flavor in app you can download and point to from inside the application.
your pal, wikkett