Best LDAP Directory server for Linux

Okay, so I am setting myself a little project. Teach myself to build what I can do in a few hours in Windows.

Build an LDAP Directory server and make it redundant.
Install and configure DHCP.
Install and configure DNS.
Install and configure NTP.
Configure client authentication to the directory.
Configure client "roaming profiles".
Install and configure an email server, probably postfix and dovecot.
Backups.

I have just built a 389 server on CentOS but is FreeIPA on Fedora the way to go or are their better alternatives out there?

I have also done the DNS and NTP which seem pretty easy.

Thank you for any information.

Ro55mo

That's a lot of cover in a single post.
There are a lot of good Digital Ocean tutorials for most of what you're covering. Probably not DHCP.
But there are a lot of good tutorials. However I'm not sure there is like an atomic source for you exact deployment.

Oh I am not expecting anyone to have something for me in a container. I want to learn to do it all myself. All I was really asking was about LDAP servers.

:-)

The 389 server I built does not seem very flexible. Like I cannot even see how to move a user into a different OU after the user is created.

Yeah I looked into LDAP a couple of weeks ago, and one problem that myself and other were having, is there's no straight forward way to like administer users, or reset passwords.... Without building one yourself. A couple things are out there, but not right out of the gates.

I've recently started looking into this as well, so take this with a grain but I believe that FreeIPA with Kerberos on CentOS is the best bet for the most well rounded solution.

Lots of good documentation and how-tos on the FreeIPA site for the things you're looking for and more

http://www.port389.org/

This is the open source upstream of the Red Hat Directory Server (it used to be called Fedora Directory Server), the most stable and most popular LDAP that I know of. The entire Kolab-groupware solution is based on it, and it works great.

Have never used it to that extent but Samba 4 seems to fit what you need.