Best GPU for less than $1,000

I'm running an XFX 7970 right now, but I'm thinking about upgrading.  Is anything badass coming out soon or is there already something out right now that kicks ass?  I was looking at the 7990 or the titan, but I just can't decide.  or should I do a 7970 crossfire?  

Thanks guys. 

NZXT Phantom 820

Intel 3770K

Kingston HyperX Beast 16GB (2 x 8GB)

Kingston SSD

NZXT Kraken X60  CPU Liquid cooler

NZXT Hale90 Series 1000w Power Supply

Seagate 3TB Serial ATA HD

XFX Radeon HD 7970 Double D 3GB DDR5

The 7970 crossfire would definately give you a good upgrade in performance, but I think it really depends on what you want to do with it. If you are using a single monitor, then stick with what you got. If you are using triple monitor or a double wide monitor then maybe upgrade. Maybe you want to max out crysis 3 or something... Anyway, if you want the best money can buy, there is the titan, but I would rather go with a GTX 780 with an aftermarket cooler and overclock it to titan performance and just save a couple hundred bucks.

FYI the GTX 780 5gb's will be coming out soon and are probably worth waiting for. The next AMD series is set to drop at the end of this year or early next year too. So, if you can wait, then do that for top of the line products.

If you give me an idea of your most demanding situation then I could better advise though.

Thanks!

Best thing price/performance wise to do is to get another 7970. They can be found for under $300 right now and will outperform both the titan and the 780 in games that support crossfire. What motherboard do you have?

but then you get xfire bugs and framrating.. I know they have worked out a lot of the bugs, but there is framerating problems and microstuttering with xfire. If you have the money, then its better to get a single GPU. The difference between 78 fps and 100 FPS is nothing because your screen is capped at 60. If you are doing 3d on a 120htz then you probably want 2 high end cards like 2 780's which you can get for $1300 (only 300 more than a titan.)

The framerating problems and the stuttering are pretty much gone so I wouldn't worry about those problems.

With the 13.8 beta drivers out, crossfire will be more relevant. However a single card solution is almost always best. Plus what resolution is your monitor? If you are  running 1920x1080 monitor then go with a single powerful card, if you are running higher resolutions then consider crossfire or sli.

With the 13.8 beta drivers out, crossfire will be more relevant. However a single card solution is almost always best. Plus what resolution is your monitor? If you are  running 1920x1080 monitor then go with a single powerful card, if you are running higher resolutions then consider crossfire or sli.

MSIZ77A-GD65

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2332608&CatId=6976

I don't currently have time to check prices for you but the radeon 7990's are cheap as chips at the moment.

7990 is often faster than a 690 and dual 7970s are often faster than a 7990. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7990-devil13-7970-x2,3329.html 

If you've already got a 7970 I would say get another one and crossfire, although to be fair I haven't had much experience with crossfire so I can't really speak to crossfire bugs. I would say though not to go with the Titan, imo that thing is a rip off. That said there are plenty who disagree and that's fine, it's up to you.