Best Free Anti-Malware Software?

I always recommend eset. Fastest to detect new threats. But alternatives is better than no security. My security involves eset, malwarebytes and ccleaner

Malwarebytes has awesome solutions.

Back in the ms days i used this tool https://www.mcafee.com/us/downloads/free-tools/stinger.aspx
For nuking offline viruses. Can’t say how good it is after intel aquired mcafee though

Common sense is subjective, to you, myself, and a large number of people on the forums will probably understand what a phishing email is or not to fully trust a website with a broken SSL cert. But for the majority of the computer users today, what we deem as common sense is not part of their common sense which effectively renders that argument useless.

Anti-malware or some form of layer that helps protect the user will always be needed, but you can’t stop complete stupidity. Educating the users is not exactly viable unless privately/publicly funded as telling every computer savvy user out there to educate people is a complete PITA.

I generally avoid telling people to get the free ones as they seem to turn into shit over time. So far I am currently testing Sophos home as a free one to recommend. As for paid ones I recommend, it usually goes straight to ESET Internet Security.

As for the OP, there really isn’t a ‘best’ as most of these are personal preference, but here is some combinations I would recommend:

• Avira + BGPKiller
  • Sophos Home
  • Any paid AV out there.

– And GlassWire Network Security with the majority of security solutions.

What I use personally is ESET NOD32 + GlassWire.

The reason why I throw GlassWire on this list is because it allows you to monitor network connectivity, so you can see where all your programs are connecting too, it also makes it easier to manage the built-in windows firewall as a plus.

4 Likes

Freaksmacker’s guide to free basic security software. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Antivirus.

Any of the free top 5 rated antivirus’s in the given year. They do seem to compete to make more compelling products.

Method : rotate antivirus every so often to another.

Malware scanner.

SuperAntiSpyware, Malwarebytes, CCleaner, Spywarebot Search and Destroy are all commonly used and look at rankings.

Method: Have a 2 or 3 different ones on hand and scan with them.

Firewall.

Do not rely on just windows firewall. Tinywall,Sphinx Glasswire and many more enhance security.

Browser.

Browser addons can do a great deal to reduce online threats. Commonly used ad blockers,noscript,privacy badger … too many to list

Method: Depends of browser of choice and available addons. Must tinker…takes time

System monitoring tools.

Often useful by catching unexplained resource usage. Anything that monitors: temp,/ram /cpu /network usage .

Method: Find something you can run onscreen at all times.

A casual approach to free software. If I missed anything…forgive me and note below.

It is free (limited) despite their screen grab.
http://www.superantispyware.com/

I always run Malawarebytes first = 2 problems found.

Then I run Super Anti-Spyware = 937 problems found.
Hey Malawarebytes! You missed something.

I don’t leave it on all the time.
I try to remember to use it once a week and it helps to keep my machine clean.

1 Like

Most of those findings are cookies.
I also often use this to clean badly infected machines and it does pretty good job. I just wish they would reconsider name of software. Superantispyware sounds bit similar like TurboregcleanerultimateXP and fake stuff like that. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Those isn’t really an av in consumer space for linux, there’s lots of commercial AVs though. They mostly scan for windows virus’ though.

Super Anti-Spyware is CCleaner on steroids, I generally avoid products like that since it like CCleaner can be a dual edged sword.

I just used the gui add on for clam AV, forget what it was called.

I like Windows Defender on my main rig…for total protection :slight_smile:

If it’s useful info for anyone, DISA mandates McAfee HBSS and VSEL. Both of which I’m sure are $$$.

https://static.open-scap.org/ssg-guides/ssg-rhel7-guide-stig-rhel7-disa.html#xccdf_org.ssgproject.content_group_mcafee_security_software

As most people said just go with an adblocker/https everywhere some other plug ins and every once in a while run a malwarebites scan if you’re concerned.

Last time I ever got any type of virus/malware was a myspace ad from a misclick in like 2006… And I haven’t run an anti-virus or scanner since then.

If you know something you’re going to may be fishy it’s best to just start a VM or run it in TOR.

And don’t open Emails no matter who it looks like without thinking about it! Just yesterday got a fake one from Amazon.

Ha, I got that one too.

With letsencrypt this has become irrelevant now. Since even the baddies can use good SSL. MitM connections is the only part where it applies, but honestly it wouldn’t matter because DNSSEC isn’t a big thing everywhere, so I can simply entirely redirect all your traffic at will.

Open scap is pretty good as a compliance scanner. So its more of a preventative action than reactive like a desktop AV.
Apparmor and SELinux would also be preventative measures.

1 Like

I like Spybot Search and Destroy. Has a nice immunization feature for browsers too.

I know, I only meant to point out that the DISA STIG calls for McAffee.

Not sure how long that will last now McAfee have said they wont let gov agencys read their source code.

1 Like

Theres a setting to stop that you know in avira? And avira IS the best so far iirc.

If youre running the anti beacon software, that modifies the host file to block mircosoft.

I believe you need to put a little more effort than that… Several of the picks now have issues that would be considered a deal breaker to this group. You have not done enough homework or offered up a real opinion.

Bitdefender free edition. Quiet. Almost no options. Works really well, and wont bother you.

I install it on every old persons machine, that and UBlock Origin. Combined, people that fell for every scam haven’t had any problems since.

I run it on my personal machines. Sure it doesn’t have the more advanced protection, but it covers the important stuff, it doesn’t bother you, and it’s consistent. What more do you need?