Best email service?

I bought into

One euro a month for 2Gb of storage. 2 free alias email addresses included. Privacy first…

2 Likes

Protonmail, Tutanota and mailbox.org are good places to get mail service.

4 Likes

I use Office 365 Business Basic with my own domain. I have my issues with it, but IMO Exchange is still the best, and it integrates with Outlook perfectly

I have plenty of rules and policies, and being able to manage via PowerShell is great

1 Like

Figured I’d check out their site to compare with my current service, and I’m smashing my head against the keyboard. Why would they not line up the features on the $3/5/9 plans so I can see what’s not included in the prior plan! Maddening

1 Like

You mean this? This is from the billing page under settings. I agree what’s on their website isn’t easy to read.

3 Likes

+1 for mailbox.org. Been using it for, counts fingers, 7 years now and been a happy dozer

3 Likes

Gandi.net works fine, I’ve also used syse.no previously without any issues.

1 Like

I use proton and for spam https://forum.level1techs.com/t/create-free-email-aliases-for-your-domain

m

4 Likes

Been using my own, well would be selfhosted but haven’t set it up yet, so the domain provider is hosting it.

protonmail.com personal

Live.com is also alright

1 Like

I see three of you have mentioned Proton Mail. That is actually the one I was thinking of but wanted to know if their were better options. Don’t really know much about them either. I wonder how long they have been around and how they are funded. Any idea of the owners? Are they owned by some big company?

https://cybernews.com/secure-email-providers/protonmail-review/

1 Like

Proton doesn’t seem to support IMAPS/SMTPS and require a desktop app to support IMAP/SMTP. Using email in a browser is a weird concept to me and I like standards. I don’t like additional software for basic things, such as email.

I have my own domain. I used to host it locally until I had to jump through hoops for the major mail destinations to accept email from my server. Now email is hosted on rackspace, which gobbled up my original email hosting service provider.
It’s been running for so long reliably and without spam that I have no interest in switching. Rackspace seems to have switched to using Outlook as mail server. Not my first choice but as long as it works …

Only now looking at the other services mentioned … rackspace provides service on the premium level and if you need more than a single account is seemingly much cheaper than the other services mentioned so far. $1/month with a 10 user minimum and annual payment ($120/yr).

4 Likes

I used protonmail for several years. Paid for the premium service. I ran into money problems and tried to get them to drop my email down from 3 paid services to 1 free service. Either I didn’t communicate my needs well or they didn’t understand, but I ended up with no help from them. It left a sour taste in my mouth. I went and looked again yesterday and I would have to pay from when I left to now in order to use them again. That adds up to over $1,000.00. Not…

4 Likes

I used proton for 3 years and even had the former visionary plan.

As already suggested: no IMAP SMTP so you can go screw yourself with a mail tool unless you install the bridge app, which will only accept local traffic so no fiddling it to your phone. (Only protonmail app)

Then you pay strictly per user/alias which was a problem for me and my company, because i had employees listed who only look once a month but still block a slot.

Also no possibility to add system accounts due the lack of imap smtp, so no webshop daemon, no newsletter tool, no hubspot integration and so on.

Their hole privacy thing is a nice facade, they state they encrypt 100% of the mails, however they are really happy giving out information on what they have, to whatever authority is knocking. Reverse google their name and look for the news…

My biggest and baddest problem was their engine. The search was absolutely crippled, it sometimes took ages or said no results, only to be re-run to finally find it. But it only searches the subject, not in the text.

Then there were repeated outtages in September or october 2021 (i think).
Either no service at all or slow as hell (dont ask about the search bar, that thing was completely down)

So i asked support numerous times and they tried to bullshit me. Please send a video, there are no known issues, please delete your coolies, please sign out/in again only to post an service incident hours later.
I was not alone with my problems, other people also started to have problems, but they decided to play it down, then finally release an update and declare it to be solved only to solve it for 3 days on.

Worst part, the unavailability even stopped them from accepting mail, so they were dropped and lost… was embarrassing to call my customers by phone and ask them if they have sent an email.

It was so fkng stupid, i couldnt work, they didnt want to help and blamed me. The search bar was bs. The featureset for a company was too small and pricing got even higher before that incident (however I was allowed to stay on visionary plan)

Switched to a managed and hosted mailcow instance since then and never looked back!

5 Likes

All legitimate and lawful corporations are required to do that.

2 Likes

Yep, I know and thats not a problem. But (!) dont boast about privacy and how great of a company you are, if you are giving out infos all the time…

2 Likes

It would be rather hard to implement this model of encryption and message storage in IMAPS/SMTPS that Proton has implemented and these protocols simply do not support it and will never support it. The application is just a bridge over which you still use your email client.

There, each message is individually encrypted and it would be hard to do it on bare IMAPS/SMTPS. Because it requires an additional layer to perform decryption and encryption independently of the carrier layer.

Yes, it is not the most convenient solution, but otherwise it is unlikely to be done with the model that the proton has. :wink:

3 Likes

Based on your requirements, it seems to me that the proton was the wrong choice from the beginning, regardless of further negative situations. :wink:

I will not recommend proton as a large business account or typical large asset. However, I personally use the free version for several years for small private messages in combination with a free domain and any number of aliases, thanks to which it works fine for me.

However, as a paid large account, I would rather look for something else. But the OP said he uses yahoo and probably free… so it’s always worth considering every option. :wink:

4 Likes

I use Fastmail as well and like it quite a bit.
$50/yr for the normal service that gives you tons of storage, custom domain use, and ability to use it through Outlook or iMail. Cheaper than Microsoft and you get more privacy too.
They do have a $30/yr plan for webmail only and just barely enough space to work with. The main thing here is a cheap, reliable email for someone who doesn’t want their data going to Google, Amazon, or Microsoft.

1 Like

Absolutely. It’s fascinating to me to read about the different perspectives on email nowadays. E.g. my kids don’t touch it at all

1 Like