Best CPU temperature test?

I’ve just built my new Computer with a Ryzen 1700X cpu and a Noctua NH U12S and since it’s the first time in a while, that I’ve actually had to apply the cooler and the thermal paste myself, I want to check the temps. Right now, I’m running Aida64 (it’s been running for about 15 minutes now) and the temps are at 43-44° according to Aida 64 and 60°C according to HWmonitor and I don’t even know if either of these is a good test or a good reading. Any recommendation on a cpu temperature test and reader?

Ryzen has a 20C temp off set. So some software may display 20C higher than true temp if not patched for it

Ryzen Master should give you an accurate reading.

AIDA64 Stress Test is a good one for producing heat. If you want to go a bit more realistic you could run Asus RealBench a bit or download and render in Blender. Prime95 is the absolute hardest thing you can run and will really drive temperatures up but isnt the most realistic workload for most consumers but will definitely tell you if your OC is stable

3 Likes

Alright, thank you for that, Ryzen Master is also telling me 60°C. I might give Prime95 a try, just to see the absolute hottest it could possibly get, although I am running at stock speeds. How long should I run prime95 for temperature readings (don’t want to run it for too long)

A few minutes should get you to where you need to be.

Prime works extremely fast

Running prime95 for 15 minutes, the cpu didn’t go over 64°C, which seems pretty good. Once again thank you.

Also PSA: with ryzen, aida64 doesn’t seem to report the temperature correctly, while HWmonitor does

1 Like

Ryzen 1700X - Noctua NH-U12S
Idle: 25°C (18°C Ambient, 50% fan speed)
Max Load: 60°C

You are good.

1 Like

Let Prime run for a while. Prime and actually some of the other stress tests cycle through different methods of stressing the cpu, using different instructions and creating heat in different ways. If you let it cycle for say 2 hours, you’ll have seen the absolute peaks of how high your cpu temps can possibly get.

It’s also worth mentioning that different revisions of prime do different things, and can produce different heat maximums, but I’m not expert at that aspect.

Alright. Though my idle temps are kind of weird. They’re usually in the mid 30s to mid 40s but sometimes they suddenly jump up 48°C.
Also in the next few days I might run prime for a bit longer, like @TheCaveman recommended

Might be because my case is full to the brim with fans.
Temps are good though.

That’s good to hear. I’ll do some gaming now, to get some more realistic results…

Yeah that’s why tbh I’m not a huge fan of Prime. The variance between versions and tests is huge. Some also cause weird voltage spikes that I really don’t like. Also how realistic of a test it is can be debated

It has it’s use but it isn’t my first choice.

This is common with Ryzen as far as I’ve seen, it’s just load spiking and the heat dissipates quickly. I have the same thing on mine (same CPU) on water.

2 Likes

This.

Prob something in the background triggering XFR boost. Causes a sharp rise in voltage and temperature which quickly fades. Nothing to worry about

Agreed. If the OP is interested in temp testing in a way that’ll show maximum real world temperatures and not maximum of what can be done synthetically, something like doing a long blender render on the cpu for like 20min or more would probably result in a great maximum real-world figure.

(cough cough probably windows update cough cough)

1 Like

For temp/overclock testing I really like IBT. It’s a heavier load than most real world applications, hits memory as well, and isn’t crazy like prime. That said, a ton of my overclocking experience was built on a platform where prime was unrealistic as a stability/temp test (8350 really didn’t play nice with prime) so that could be where some of the bias comes from.
I’ll usually run 5-10 cycles of IBT, if it passes run some blender tests, if it passes I’ll render out 3-5 videos in my typical workflow, and if everything is all good then we’re good!

I use a custom super multi-threaded test, but the kicker is OCCT.

I open 10 huge Photoshop files, 3 3D projects, Rocket League, Microsoft Excel with a big file, MSI Kombuster and YouTube all at the same time. When I add OCCT to all that it really spikes my temps.

Alright, so I’ve been gone for a while and I’ve got a bunch more questions:

1. @The_Drugs what’s IBT? I may give it a try…
  2. I’ve noticed that my cpu isn’t boosting. When I turned on high performance mode in the power settings, the max clock went from 3.5 to 3.9 (as it should) and back down to 3.5. Any idea what could be causing this?. Also, my temps in prime 95 have climbed up to 67°C (I’ll see if they go up any further), but that’s probably just due to higher ambient temps, because I turned on the heater

Ambient temperatures matter.

Have you overclocked? 3.4 is base, 3.8 is boost, 3.9is XFR. XFR is not a steady clock and will constantly go up and down. When you select performance mode it should not go lower than boost clock unless power or heat limited.

What is your motherboard? I would suggest disabling any type of core enhancing and dial in your own set voltage, also load line calibration. This will improve temps, clock speed and will drastically decrease the amount of temp spikes you see.

I’m running stock, so the max clock should theoretically be 3.8/3.9.

Also I’ve got the gigabyte x370 gaming 5, and I’m not sure if it has any kind of core enhancing (couldn’t find any in the bios). As for the voltage, what would be a safe voltage (I’m kind of new to all this) and lastly, what exactly does load line calibration do?

Max turbo is only on one or two cores. Under a heavy load with all cores engaged you will not see max boost clocks.

XFR (3.9) is only on one core under a light load.

To get 3.8-4.0Ghz all cores you will need to overclock

To test run Cinebench on all cores then run the single core test and see your clock speeds

Yes. It will. If more than two cores are engaged no matter your power settings you will not see those turbo speeds and certainly not XFR.

Many Intel motherboards have multicore enhancement which essentially OCs the parts so they always run at max turbo but AMD does not.

If he wants those clocks he will need to OC