Best budget gaming CPU

I would love to, but the card is too big for the case :-)

I will see about plugging the R9 280X into the 860k system to give a comparison. 

I agree, the i5-4460 is the better CPU. But at twice the price, at least here.

eh, needs to be much cheaper to get my vote. It's pretty though. Wrong price point for that chip IMHO

Generally speaking I don't want to pay more than 50% more for either a CPU or a motherboard.

I try to keep the graphics solution around the same price as chip+board, or chip+board+RAM for a higher budget.

I find that if I keep all components in the center/mid of the value curve and keep to these rules then I can fudge on stuff like cases, optical drives and storage if need be.

Never fudge the PSU though. I can't say that enough. At least 30% more than system TDP and always 80+ Gold. If the PSU goes, more than likely it will take half the system with it.

at 2x the cost of a 6300 its not an apples to apples comparison, nor is it budget friendly.

I totally agree about the i5. But I can't recommend it over the 6300 without knowing more about the price and build goals.

If he wants to go small form-factor and/or higher end (~$800) I would say i5, cheaper i go FX6300 and cheap and small goes to the 860K. Or... If going with either cheaper option and buying a cheap case and/or stealing storage and stuff from other rigs means he can hit the $300 sweet spot for GPU... Do that.

That's where I disagree. "balancing" systems specs is a personal preference, not an imperative. No finagling with CPU specs is going to make a $150 card beat a $300 card on any solid quad-core. Yes, he might have a few less frames on that card than he would with the better CPU. But if the choice is between a marginally better chip or a vastly better card... it is a gaming only build.

Buy the best card you can afford to drive effectively.

But if you can squeeze in a 250GB SSD and still get all the card you want if you give up the better CPU, maybe do that too. SSDs vastly improve the experience of using a computer for anything.

For windows gaming the intel is code for much better accross all games. On Intel chips the clock really does not matter for gaming once your past 3.0Ghz. And you get better performance jumping from i3,i5,i7 than you do overclocking on intel chips. Overclocking on AMD seems to show better results. But there are a few problem child games that have a hard time running on AMD CPU. And you have to jump through some hoops to get them running. Ubisoft games can be a pain in the ass. Arma III and Day Z are a few others.

I would recommend a i5 myself for strait up gaming. And if your near a microcenter the i5 4590 is cheaper than the 4460 if you walk into the store. And clock is a little higher on that one so bonus.

If you go AMD I would go 8320 or 8350 with after market cooler.

Basically I agree with PrivateZim. If you can save enough here and there and manage to grab a i5 do that. If you building from scratch and buying all new parts, go with the 6300. I can't bring myself to recommend a FM2+ cpu, since they don't have either six or eight core options. The more options one has the better. :)

Yeah, the upgrade path argument is ridiculous. Why buy a g3258 when you know you're going to buy a better CPU later? It just costs more total for someone who isprobably tight on money if they're choosing a g3258.

If the budget is really tight the AMD Athlon 760K at $77 is a STEAL. The FX 6 core is a good option as well but limits build options a bit since there are ZERO quality mATX and mITX boards for the FX lineup. If your going full tower and can afford the extra $30 the FX 6 core is a great choice.

Once you get past the $120 price point there is ZERO reason to buy from AMD. The chips they offer are okay but the performance of the Intel chips for gaming just makes a lot more sense.

i agree.

Also that a locked i5 is not budget friendly, is also something i disagree with. a loked i5 can be combinated with a cheaper motherboard. because you dont need overclocking feutures. you can also use the stock cooling.

A FX6300 or FX8 core, you want to overclock the shit out of it, to get reasonable performance, This basicly means that you have to buy a decent more expensive mobo + decent cooling, if you calculate that into pricing, then a locked i5 with cheaper mobo can even be cheaper in some cases, especialy wenn we talk about a FX 8 core.

Also not to mention, that even a FX9590 which is an overclocked FX8350 to 5.0GHz, can still not keep up with a locked haswell i5 in heavaly cpu bound games @1080p, they simply fall behind.

The reason for this is simple, the haswell i5's / i7´s have simply faster individual cores. so better performance per core and better ipc. Allot of cpu bound games still benefits from this espeicaly on 1080p. games like MMO´s RTS, RPG´s or cpu + gpu bound gaming scenario´s like multiplayer FPS games.

the performance per core of a stock FX cpu is basicly realy awfull for nowdays standards, its right on par with a pentium 4.

Most todays games dont use more then 4 main threads, so those extra cores of the FX8350 arent gonne help you very much. Thats why the i5 is simply better in every gaming scenario. THere are only a few games that have the capabillity to utilize all availeble threads, a good example is Watchdogs, But in 90% of the games today, those extra cores of a FX8 cores are pretty useless.

Same story goes for a 4690k vs 4790k basicly. grabbing the i7 over the i5-4690k is pretty pointless in 90% of the games.

Also like @Cellprocessing also states, as far as intel is concerned, clockspeeds above 3.4GHz ish (non turbo), dont realy matter that much anymore for gaming. you can squeeze a few extra fps out of a 4690k wenn overclocked. But it wont be mind blowing. Because the most important numbers are still the minimum fps numbers.

So thats why in my opinnion a locked haswell i5, is still one of the best budget choices for gaming out there. If you are a hardcore gamer. But it depends on the GPU if you realy going to benefit from it. Because if you go with a midrange gpu like a 270X for example, then going with an i5 isnt gonne make a whole lot of sense, because you will get GPU limited in most situations.

But still there are a few "pain in the ass" games, in which a FX8350 even bottlenecks a 270X. which i have experianced my self.

Quality micro am3+ board here. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128565

Personally weather be it intel or amd I would just buy a normal atx board and med case. Keep it simple and all that jazz. 

This to is also only my opinion but, given the cost of the i5s and the fact their only quad cores, the amd eight cores makes more since, even if the single thread performance is a little lower.

my 2 cents.

Best budget cpu over all the amd 860k or 6300 depending on sales.  For $150 you can usually get an amd 8350 or if you are lucky and find a really good sale maybe even an i5. 

I have to go with the AMD 860K.

yes its not budget friendly, especially to the OP. a processor that would force you to gimp the rest of a system on a $400-$500 budget isnt good to me.

Well I can only speak from personal experience. I ran a Trinity A-10 5800K for two years and had a GTX 760 on that for some time. When I went to the i5 a lot of stuff ran the same benchmarks where about the same. But in some games like Civ 5 my FPS in the game went up big time. Ubisoft games Far Cry 3 did not only improve FPS but I could turn up settings and AA from FXAA to 4xMSAA. Same with Ass Creed 4 Black Flag better settings and frames. Some games that would not run like Rise of the Triad runs flawless. Source games like Insurgency hits higher FPS. And Min FPS is much higher. 

So these are some things I have noticed when I switched. And I have built and noticed these issues on FX line to. However I still use AMD for some builds. And I just ordered a FX 8320 for a friends build. In a lot of cases if you can. Just force the OS to spead the game workload across all cores if you having a hard time getting something running. Also unparking the cores on AMD helps.

i can only agree with what you are saying. ☺

FX cpu´s are not that bad for gaming, But haswell i5 / i7 is simply better. And the diffrence can be siginificant in some games realy.

I have an FX8350 my self for more then 2 years, and it allways served me realy well, But it simply cannot keep up with todays intels cpu´s in cpu bound games.

Please find a hole in my logic. lol

R3 2200g. Very powerful integrated GPU.

There seem to be a few rather old threads promoted to the recent activity list today.