Best AC1900 routers for a router based VPN

Hello,

I'm looking to upgrade my home router to AC and i want it to run a VPN. I'm in Australia and the government is getting funny about privacy. I'd rather have it run off the router then use an internet based one or off an always on PC. I was thinking about the WRT1900ac but i thought it needed the custom firmware that hasn't been released for it yet. Any suggestions on a good fast AC router and a walk through on how to get it all working would be great.

Cheers for any help.

WRT1900 really does not have option to turn VPN on it by default? Thats something I would expect from $300 device. If you are ready to spend so much money on it, why dont you build your own router using old PC or an old NTB?

I wouldn't use a normal router for this. You'll be restricted to whatever protocols that firmware can run, plus there may be security issues. I would buy an Ubiquiti Unifi AC access point, and build a router to run pfSense on. pfSense does great with OpenVPN, I use mine all the time and I can connect from phones, laptops, tablets, desktops, you name it. 

So go with Ubiquiti UniFi AP AC. By build your own did you mean off a pc as well? I'd rather just have it running without a always on pc.

So go with Ubiquiti UniFi AP AC. By build your own did you mean off a pc as well? I'd rather just have it running without a always on pc.

Well the PC would replace whatever router you have now, so you would sort of have to have it on all the time... It doesn't have to be a nice rig, just a single core junk machine will do.

I would just really prefer to only have a router going. We spend most of our time on tablets, smart tv and phones. 

Well, a little ITX system won't draw any more power than a powerful router, but if you must have a non-PC thing, try an Ubiquiti EdgeRouter. They're gonna cost about as much as a crappy PC though, and you'll still need a separate access point, so not to push but the best option is to find a junk machine and run pfSense...I have a fanless one, you could even use something like an ALIX that's so tiny you can't even tell its a PC

And to clarify, you do realize you would need both a router AND a Unifi AP right? And if you use pfSense then the PC literally is your router. No other router is needed