Best 990FX MOBO for FX-8350?

In the infant stages of my gaming build, and looking around don't know which way to turn for my MOBO?

Going to run an FX- 8350 and want a MOBO that will be easy to learn OC'ing with and be stable. I see a lot of recommendations for the Sabertooth and the Crosshair V Formula Z but the reviews on retailer sights are not great......

If buying today, which route would you guys take for a MOBO in this build?:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Dy7WsY

Thanks
EM

Asus is perfectly fine for brand. Also I love the way they arrange their mobos. Site Mapper should be paid millions of dollars on the design. I'm looking right now as what features you get in the one you have chosen, versus the others.
https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/AMD_Platform_Products/

I can't really tell the difference between the Gen 3 and just Rev2.0. I think you'll be fine with your choice.

Didn't know there was a Gen 3 thanks for the help. I will research it some to me, I think the Gen 3 was to work with the 9XXX series CPU but not 100% sure on that.

Anyone had any experience yet with this MOBO?

Thay dont make the gen 3 anymore (possibly because thay flat out lied about the mobo haveing pcie 3.0 that isn't supported by AM3+ cpu's at all)

I use the Sabertooth Rev 2.0 and its a solid board, had it for 2+yrs never had a problem with it!
I recommend it.

The sabertooth is a good board. No issues with that one. If you want something "lower" in the value chain, try the Asus 990FX Pro. Really really good board for the price.

Slightly off topic,some of your selections are rather odd. Odd in the sense that you would be able to allocate the budget in a more sensible manner. This is just an opinion, and i do not know what you intend to do with the rig apart from gaming.

I'm all ears, but you never went ahead to tell me which parts are odd, no worries on tearing the rig apart I' new to this so doing the best I can based off the research I have done.

I have that board running in one of my AMD machines with an 8320 in it. Alot of reviews have stated that the vrm's can get uncomfortably toasty and but I've been running it for about a year with no issues. The price is pretty good for the features too but sabertooths aren't much more and probably one of if not the most recommended AMD boards out there.

Apologies. It's not like we want to tear the rig apart. But we would like some info prior to suggesting any changes.
1. What kind of budget are you working with?
2. How do you intend on gaming? As in the resolution you want to/have planned to play at
3. What kind of games do you play often/planning to play with this?

I also noticed this was an AMD build. Was this intentional?

I have the Fatality version in 990FX......of that mb

The best is the Crosshair v formula but the best, and newest, for the money is the Asrock 990fx killer.

list of AMD 990FX boards in order which i would recommend for a FX8 core.

1: Asus crosshair V Formula Z. 8+2 powerphase digi vrm, intel lan, decent onboard audio.
2: Asrock 990FX Extreme 9. 12+2 powerphase digi vrm, intel lan.
3: Asus 990FX Sabertooth R2.0. 8+2 powerphase digi vrm.
4: Asus M5A99FX pro R2.0. 6+2 powerphase digi vrm.

These are the best AM3+ boards you could get.
Asus crosshair V Formula Z and Asrock Extreme 9 are obviously the best AM3+ boards out there.

1 Like

https://forum.teksyndicate.com/t/first-build-gaming-pc-would-like-some-input/84226

Here you go @Lebozo I thought the rules of build specs was only for the PC build forum.

The AMD card purchase was intentional because of the price I bought it at.

Again I'm all ears and any input/feedback is welcomed.

Thanks

Technically, yes. I am currently testing the Asrock 990FX Extreme6, which is the same board with all the gaming brand marketing stripped away. The actual differences amount to some slight modifications to the sound chip, and the PCB. I like it, but I wouldn't pay the premium for just a PCIe add-in for USB3.1 connectivity.

I also have a Sabertooth 990FX R2.0, which was a great board with all the bells and whistles a tinkerer or hardcore overclocker could ever want.

I think a happy medium would be the ASUS M5A99FX Pro. It has the added BIOS features that Asus often gives access to, so you can control things like Load Line Calibration. It also doesn't cost your first born son.

All this said, do you plan on sticking mostly to just one GPU? How hard of an overclock do you plan on pushing? A 970 board may be more fitting for you build.

Here is my take on the amd mobo purchasing. There is no reason to pay premium prices for high-end mobo on a platform that is on its way out. So the cheapest that has good power phases will be the most cost effective use of your money.

1 Like

The Asrock 990FX killer, is a nice feuture packed board for gamers.
But its not the best overclockers board.

I'm a big fan of the Asrock Killer boards. The 990FX offering is a good deal for $130 on NewEgg right now. Alot of people just hate on them because of the branding, but they're actually really solid boards.

Well the 990FX Killer from Asrock isnt that great.
Like i said above, its a nice feuture packed board for gamers, but its not a great board for overclocking.

The reason for this, is that this particular board still suffers from overheating vrm´s and mosfets, wenn you wanne overclock a FX8 core on it massively.
Overheating vrm´s and mosfets will cause voltage drops.
This board also seem to lack on certain feutures like LLC.

This motherboard has exaly been discussed a couple of times on the forum allready, just put a hit in the search bar.