Before i install freenas

cool. It looks like you have not cleared the old disk.
I would use -f if I know it is for sure the correct disk to put in as a replacement

As for the command, it does appear the correct way around, so that’s good

Or you could use one of cfdisk, fdisk, gnome-disks, parted, or gparted to clear any partitions

Is it a blank brand new disk?

it should be i just took it out of the package, and i know i’m looking at the right disk. where does one put the -f befor the new drive?

should be after the command, before the poolname

from the manual page:

replace [- f ] [-o property = value ] pool old_device [ new_device ]

no property value this time

https://zfsonlinux.org/manpages/0.8.1/man8/zpool.8.html

TLDR

replace [- f ] [- o property = value ] pool old_device [ new_device ]

Replaces old_device with new_device This is equivalent to attaching new_device waiting for it to resilver, and then detaching old_device

The size of new_device must be greater than or equal to the minimum size of all the devices in a mirror or raidz configuration.

new_device is required if the pool is not redundant. If new_device is not specified, it defaults to old_device This form of replacement is useful after an existing disk has failed and has been physically replaced. In this case, the new disk may have the same /dev path as the old device, even though it is actually a different disk. ZFS recognizes this.

-f

Forces use of new_device even if it appears to be in use. Not all devices can be overridden in this manner.

-o property = value

Sets the given pool properties. See the Sx Properties section for a list of valid properties that can be set. The only property supported at the moment is ashift

thank you so much its working!
do i just keep checking status till its finished?

and if i move this server over to freenass can i just mount the pool some how?

it can take a couple of minutes to get a semi-accurate estimate of the time, but looking at the status, there’s not a whole lot on there, so maybe check every 15 mins?

For moving, I would export the pool from the existing machine, and only import it after freenas is set up.

And yes, it shoud import.
The OS’s zfs tools have to be the same version, with the same feature flags, but there’s ways around it if they don’t

awesome! thanks again

1 Like

no worries.
Sorry for the typo’s, it’s a bit late.

I would suggest you check out the manual pages, but Freenas should be a bit easier with messages; letting you know stuff on a web page, rather than you having to find logs or use the CLI so much.

Have fun with it man

may be you should replace the drive !