Be careful overclocking

This is not true. It’s not the amount of material that a component uses that decides how robust it is. It’s quite the opposite. Having smaller components means that they’re more efficient, require less voltage and current to run.

I appreciate your post about telling users to be cautious but as @catsay said it’s best to let anyone do what they want with their hardware. If someone wants to venture into overclocking probably knows how to Google things and knows the risks and reward associated with this practice.

Can’t break anything if you can’t overclock. Intel got my back with dat non-K parts.

1 Like

Stay away from Sandy and Ivy Bridge then. :sunglasses:

Am on Sandy.

If you overclock on a Motherboard so cheap that it came free with the CPU it will protect the CPU by failing first.

BTW any AM3+ MB sales?

Then you can overclock … somewhat.
I’ve been running an 800MHz OC on all cores on my secondary rig’s i5-2500 for years (4.1GHz instead of the stock 3.3 base and 3.7 boost). That was as far as it would go, and it did it on stock voltage.
I only turned it back to stock speeds now that it has been repurposed as a 4-GPU mining rig.

I assume that wasn’t an intended feature, and you need some specific mobos/chipstes to make it work?

This is my CPU:

This is my mobo:

Also I think we’re heading waay off topic, sry mods :wink:

Nah, we’re still on the topic of overclocking. I’ll say something really intelligent about the subject later on, to get us back on track completely.

Sandy and Ivy had what Intel referred to as a “Limited Unlock”. If your motherboard supported overclocking (P67 and Z77 did for sure, I had both), you could crank the multiplier 4 clicks above max turbo frequency. This was completely intentional, otherwise it would have simply been a completely unlocked multiplier.

Right, something intelligent … ermm … ermm … oh, found something!

Another side effect of overclocking is that you’ll draw more current from the PSU. Make sure it’s powerful enough to cope with the extra demand.