Battery replacement help

Just got a replacement battery for my laptop (Dell Latitude E7470) and after installing it, my laptop won’t turn on unless the battery is disconnected and the AC power adapter is plugged in. When the battery is installed and the power adapter is plugged in, the battery light that says it’s charging turns on but I’ve left it charging for some hours now and I still have the same situation. Any help please?

Might be a bit Too basic, and you probably tried, but perhaps:

If you plug the old battery in, and it works, then might be a dodgy new battery?

Laptop batteries don’t come with the little seethru tape saying “remove before use” but I would check all the contacts appear undamaged/unbent/unblocked.
I don’t think laptop Batteries physically fit in the wrong way round, but again, worth a check.

But might need reporting to the seller as a possible dud?

2 Likes

Could be a dud. I will say that it is not an OEM battery but I may need to go that route if that’s the case and unfortunately I don’t have a multimeter to check. All the contacts and pins are completely undamaged and nothing is blocking them.

Lithium batteries are terrific, but they don’t like going down to zero charge. When that happens, they can “forget” the correct direction to recharge, so that attempts to charge them results in a big nothing. The battery is essentially bricked at that point.

That’s why lithium battery systems need intelligent controllers to shut down the device before the charge goes to zero. (Also to prevent overcharging, which generates heat and results in those Samsung devices catching fire).

So, yeah, it sounds as though it is time to try to get the battery replaced.

I always bought my laptop batteries from eBay with paypal and used reputable sellers. When I had a problem I would contact the seller and they would gladly exchange or refund my money and if they didn’t PayPal would make them refund my money or else…

If I was you I would return that battery, ask for what they call an RMA and ask for them to cross ship you another battery.

You’ll be computing in the go in no time. Best of luck .

1 Like