Bang for the buck SSD, storage wise, speeds 'less' important

Ehhh.... saw an OCZ Trion 240GB on Amazon.de for €63....ordered it.

Sandisk had been solid choice for awhile. No one ever mentions the longivity metric. I have purchased a bunch of sandisk with 2 and 3 million hours. Caveats are decent read speed with the write speeds being slower. Really fast write speeds seem to shorten the lifespan dramactically. I care about decent read speed and longivity. After a point it is silly to base purchasing choices on just read write as it will be bottlenecked by the sata connection anyway. Most of the fastest ssd's on the market will never see full speed without some very specific tinkering and even then ? You will get most of it but you may not see all of it. The real trick is getting just enough to meet the speed need and not be bottlenecked with a good long lifespan. M.2 is its own class of things and so far I am kind of unimpressed by the longivity. Just my two cents for whatever it is worth. :)

1 Like

yeah, m.2 has its specific audience, can't deny it induces drool but i'm not its audience tbh

The Crucial BX100 is nearing it's end of life sales. It is no longer being manufactured, however it is a decent SSD. Not the fastest, they even claim that as well. It is dirt cheap and I recommend it. None biased on products by the way. If you find any brands cheaper than the Crucial BX100 go for it.

yup, but the lowest price i found on tweakers for a 250gb crucial bx100 was €81, i don't see that ocz trion 240gb anymore though, but ordered it yesterday for €60.

Perhaps the crucial bx prices in US are going down, but being in EU it's not worth it with shipping/customs fees added.

I have good luck and a good deal with my SSD's. Currently using a Crucial MX100 500GB that cost $200, but when the Samsung 850 Evo 500GB went on sale for $80 I couldn't resist. I have them in RAID zero. Cheap and speedy but RAID flakes out sometimes. I never had to use my backup, but I've had some scary moments in BIOS trying to get it to boot.

My first SSD was a Patriot Pyro 120GB that died. I did punish it, but I don't recommend Patriot.
Pro Tip: Never let your SSD get more than half full. If you need 250GB, buy 500.

1 Like

yeah i keep an eye on free space available on my current ssd, hence why i wanted a second one. Using around 86gb and have 32gb left so i need to move some games and stuff to a second one to keep it at 1/2 free space.

$80 for a 500gb evo it fucking amazing...i'm well jelly.

Where did you pick that up for so cheap?

MicroCenter

I see...that must've been a black Friday loss leader, huh? Cause I've never seen 500 GB for under $100.