Ban On Oktoberfest

Colleges say that Wikipedia should not be used.

Well it looks like your hypocrisy is showing through.

The World's History
Howard Spodek
Chapter 11
P. 376
"Early Islamic governments spread their power by the sword. As a result popular belief in the west is has held that the religion of Islam spread the same way. Although conversion by force was practiced occasionally, it was unusual."
The RELIGION was not violent, while the governments were.
Islam is really fairly peaceful, just like other religions, and as usual there are extremists who take it to far.

See this is where we get into that whole "not enough time" thing.

If I were to boil it down... The west includes the countries that support Israel.

That is a HORRIBLY gross simplification, but I think it will give you an idea of what I am referring to.

Its all Australians and Kiwi's going anyway.

You have provided ONE SOURCE.

I gave you a PAGE FULL of secondary sources, a lot of history books, and Primary sources.

One Secondary source dose not win over that because your school assigned it to you.
Really.... were you to lazy you could not find the reference material for that book and present it to me. (Psst its at the end of the book.)
I just have to accept that as fact huh.

In my opinion, one that immigrates is supposed to assimilate the host country's culture into her/his life whilst being free to keep their old culture as long as it fits within their new community. This sounds like immigrants that are not at all willing to adopt to their new community's culture and values.

1 Like

Exactly.

Little Fun Fact.

FDR the god of the Democrat party. Closed immigration off to EVERYONE.
Reason was we took so many people in, they had to be assimilated into american culture, before we opened the gates back up.

Funny how now they are lauding Trump for doing the same thing. Also on a smaller scale.

Here is a Quote from my Favorite President.

Theodore Roosevelt's ideas on Immigrants and being an AMERICAN in 1907.

"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American ... There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag ... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language ... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

1 Like

I have a physical book. not typing all of that.
And you know what Wikipedia still doesn't count. Not reliable.
P.s. You still haven't backed up your claim about Muslim culture being fucked up.

Current Muslim culture that Stones Gays, treats women as property and burns infidel children is fucked up.
Now because you are a black and white individual who cannot see any grey area in an issue. And as I had stated in my second post in this thread before you even responded to me. I do not have a problem with Islam. I have a problem with modern day Islam and the state of its culture in the middle east.
I stand by that.

I prefer Kurdish culture my self. But that is semantics and they have some drawbacks as well with some remote Kurdish people still practicing female circumcision, However this act has decreased drastically in Kurdish lands so I applaud them even if there is still a few hold outs. Traditions are very hard to change.

So sources I cited from Wikipedia's References.

Cambridge University Press
East. Harvard University Press
Blackwell Publishing
Mercury Books
Institute for Medieval Studies, University of Leeds.
University of California Press

I hate the mentality that Wikipedia is not legitimate. Why, they do everything else any credible work has to do.
They provide all citations and resources used at the bottom of the page.
But because its Free and Open for the community in your eyes that makes it illegitimate.
I guess all other community projects are invalid as well unless your school puts them in a textbook to grant them legitimacy.

Lets just throw the whole arch wiki page as not credible because its a fucking Wiki.

Dude, please tell me the IVY fucking league print publications are wrong. PLEASE So I can lose all hope in humanity.

People have been accommodating the refugees so much, that I wouldn't be surprised if this picked up some steam.

These people should be picking up arms and fighting for their country instead of trying to live in ours. Imagine if the history books said that all of the Americans that didn't like the British rule fled asylum to Russia.

I am sure that it isn't that simple. I don't know the details, and don't care enough about keeping up with politics to bother, but I imagine that if they could have done something to maintain their homeland, then they would have. Things are never as simple as that. There are always things in the way.

Yes, absolutely. I read that the Bataclan - the event location in Paris where the mass-shooting took place while the Eagles of Death Metal were playing - is owned by Jewish people. This would give the attacks an antisemetic motive, rather than "just" religiously motivated, but the primary victims was the audience, not the owners.

When it comes to religion and politics conversations tend to consume a lot of time. The core problems might boil down to "a bunch of assholes behaving like shitheads" (be it selling weapons to countries to provide resources for a war, having interest in the resources - often oil - in another country or being the one waging war against others to increase your power). Greed (for power, money, etc.) or hate (initially induced by fear, maybe unconsiously) are often the core reasons (speaking of gross simplification).

I dont think they are just acting like shit heads. From what I could gather the people on the bottom of the totem pole are the most radical. As you move up the totem pole dogma is replaced by self interest and greed. These bombers are just the dogmatic followers of a bigger group that is maintained with religious adhesive. People need to conform less to society and think independently by adopting a deontology moral system based on common human needs.

The ones at the bottom are also the most obvious ones, the loudest ones and narrow-minded (often due to lack of education or being overly misinformed/manipulated) who will proudly announce their values and be offended (or feel threatened) by those who don't share them.
The "do as you're told" mentality is not only very dangerous when religion is involved, in military or military-like organizations too (although, sometimes justified, to not endanger the lives of the people by hesitating or arguing).

We just need to find Socrates DNA ,if he was not just made up by Plato,clone him, and send him into the middle east. The scary part is that I bet they could do it if they found a living cell wherever he is buried.

1 Like

I might be missing the point of this but the only thing I could think of is "uhm...and how long is he gonna survive there?".

not very long, if you had read the trial of Socrates he will criticize everybody until they shoot him but we must make multiple clones to replace him.

I think its just inconsiderate to try to change German culture when its the Germans providing them with safety. I mean they're giving them a place to stay because their homeland is plagued with war, so the least they can do is not complain about the place they're going too. Its pretty shit manors to try to impose your beliefs on them, when they're the ones giving you a safe place to stay.

Its their one dimensional way of thinking. They probably think Mohamed made the Germans give them asylum.

Look I don't feel like arguing semantics, so can we just live and let die? I am sick of this pointless argument.