Badly need a stable Linux system with ecc?

I’m still looking for the supermicro motherboard, the rev 2 is labelled H11SSL-NC I think, but all the ones available are H11SSL-I. And even then mostly second hand or not UK stores meaning pain in the ars warranty.

so with that in mind what would be the recommended asrock/gigabyte motherboard with ecc Linux reporting amd/Intel with most proven track record in your opinion?

This article explains the reason why you really want to use ECC memory, on an engineering level:

DRAM’s Damning Defects—and How They Cripple Computers An investigation into dynamic random-access memory chip failure reveals surprising hardware vulnerabilities

You need to be an IEEE member to read it… but, there are other articles out there. :wink:

1 Like

no the difference between an NC and I board is separate from the difference between Rev1 and REV2 boards. the NC board has an onboard 8 port SAS controller, the I board does not.

both are available in REV1 and REV2 flavors.

as far as ASRock goes, ‘the one that is in stock and or on sale’ is the one to get. seriously tech purchases across the globe are not what they were 5 years ago. you probably need to stop looking for a specific item and start seeing what you can get that you can make due with.

1 Like

You have been very helpful and I thank you for your knowledge.
Will add to my filters for sure.

Isn’t ram way more durable as a storage medium in terms of how many read and writes it gives you in its lifetime?

Hence why we use it for steam caching and what not

So I would be looking to underclock and use it more to make my sad last much longer, only write data if there is power issues down the line somewhere or something set off an alarm lol

all TR CPUs support ECC. ThreadRipper PRO can support ECC REG memory also. (can support, and MB supports it, might be different.)

1 Like

So what would be a good current day motherboard that gives me ecc reporting or whatever I can buy in the shops brand new today lol?

Everything new other than cpu, cpu I don’t care, any good performer (as gross as it is I could even accept Intel into my home). Server, enthusiast, or gaming motherboards or ram, I just want my ram reporting back to me :pray:, appreciate any help, thanks again

What do you think of this ram,
Kingston Server Premier - DDR4 - module - 32 GB - DIMM 288-pin - 3200 MHz / PC4-25600 - registered with PARITY, ECC
it apparently comes with 10years warranty but it’s said “(Russia)” right next to in lol. So maybe no warranty lol

An ASRock Rack board (AM4 or EPYC) or supermicro (EPYC or TR) would be your safest bets. im not going to say ‘hey get the exact board X’ i’m just not getting into that.

same with the RAM. my preference on RAM is the RAM that has the SPEC i want, and is on sale. Gone are the days of ‘oh, brand X is so much better’ now there is what 4 real chip manufacturers not counting the clone chips, and they go onto 100 different ‘brands’ of product?

1 Like

Huh, I just ran this on my Asrock X399 (with Unbuffered ECC installed) and I get 128 bits total width and 64 bits data width

What dose it mean?
More number means more better right? Lol

So for ddr4 ecc, what features am I looking for in your opinion if you where looking at a supermicro epyc 7xx2 based board for example?

if budget is no problem i look for samsung chips (you can even look for specific batches if you have spare time, A B C die, for example)

for budget builds i am o.k. with Hynix and Elpida chips.

then look for speed, timings, and rather you need REG or UN-Buffered.

remember most server platforms do not have much ability for tuning, so what the RAM is labeled is what you get for speed and timings.

1 Like

Oh thank God for your arrival that is a thread ripper board right taichi? , I can get that where I am, have you tested the ecc by injecting errors or overclocking it or whatever else with reporting in a Linux environment?

I need a recipe I can follow, I’m not the experiment guy with hardware, just software.

Correction:
I can get “ASRock X399 Phantom Gaming 6 TR4, X399 Phantom Gaming 6,” for example.

Thanks

that is not what i said at all. but really, nothing is stopping you from trying.

1 Like

I’m will rather follow a tested and already built system, I will not be doing anything first time lol, like benchmark your god damn ecc people, any retard aka me can look at a benchmark for cpu, gpu or even hard drives durability all get tested.

Is it like a gated thing by server sales people or something?

Yes I would not at all mod the ram on this system, just want feedback and ecc working, I feel like this is engineering level discussion if I’m grading the material lol.

I was hoping for something I could Google and click buy lol

its predecessor with no ecc just runs Linux, holds backups and sometimes on the fly edits video (cctv) and compressions and whatnot but that’s a triggered system so it’s rare, mainly it’s sucking up loads of idle power so I do like these new chips that undervolt and sips power.

Depending on what motherboard you choose you should check qualification & compability list. As it depends on motherboard. If you are planning on AM4 registered will not work. That’s for EPYC and Threadripper pro as @Zedicus explained.

1 Like

That would indicate that at least OS is not seeing the ECC bits and ECC is not detected.
You should also see some messages on dmesg about edac if its running ok:
$ sudo dmesg | grep -i edac
[ 0.528361] EDAC MC: Ver: 3.0.0
[ 3.482200] EDAC amd64: MCT channel count: 2
[ 3.482335] EDAC MC0: Giving out device to module amd64_edac controller F17h_M70h: DEV 0000:00:18.3 (INTERRUPT)
[ 3.482337] EDAC amd64: F17h_M70h detected (node 0).
[ 3.482340] EDAC MC: UMC0 chip selects:
[ 3.482341] EDAC amd64: MC: 0: 0MB 1: 0MB
[ 3.482342] EDAC amd64: MC: 2: 8192MB 3: 8192MB
[ 3.482344] EDAC MC: UMC1 chip selects:
[ 3.482345] EDAC amd64: MC: 0: 0MB 1: 0MB
[ 3.482346] EDAC amd64: MC: 2: 8192MB 3: 8192MB
[ 3.482348] EDAC amd64: using x16 syndromes.
[ 3.482354] EDAC PCI0: Giving out device to module amd64_edac controller EDAC PCI controller: DEV 0000:00:18.0 (POLLED)
[ 3.482355] AMD64 EDAC driver v3.5.0
Here’s whats showing on my system with 32GB RAM.

1 Like

Do you get total width 128 because dmidecode is multiplying the width of the memory and the memory channels? Strange I don’t see that in the output from my EPYC, now I wonder if memory interleaving is working correctly for me (it’s enabled in BIOS).

1 Like