Bad Processor Performance with W10

ATM I’m watching some weird lag happen on my mac pro. Heres specs real quick:

Mac Pro 3,1
2X Xeon E5462 @2.8 GHz
64GB DDR2 Ram
RX580
Boots off of an SSD

I’m trying to launch edge to get some apps but the processors climb to about 30-50% usage each then edge crashes out. I can find similar reports, but only from when 10 came out.

I’m not quite sure what to make of this. I haven’t used the machine really since I finished the install as I was busy the last few days and I never saw this in linux. I’m currently going to reboot and hope for the best but I doubt that’ll do anything for me.

this may or may not be related, but i would just like to congratulate you on being an absolute madlad running all that hardware on a ddr2 platform and getting it to boot at all.

Resource Monitor. Will tell which process are actively using CPU and show you fine details when filtered.

1 Like

Might be something related to drivers… W10 auto installs everything but sometimes it’s fucky.

Have you isntalled amd drivers already?

I don’t know about the lag and shit, but basically resource usage on windows is higher anyways.

I mean, its just my desktop.

We have 3GHz ram now DDR2 isn’t that slow, the ram now is just too fast lol.

1 Like

It did all that magic bullshit already. Did that as part of the installer.

Welp. Might be trying 19.10 then LOL

Shhhh you gonna star a war!!!

hahahahah

The slowdowns are common? Or just exporadical?

Might be windows update doing their thing.

Oh you know

only when I click on things

this is still just strange

is there a specific process with that has heavy cpu usage when you click?

I’ve been watching it and its been a lot of system stuff built in. sppsvc.exe was the last one that made an issue.

There are system interrupts that keep popping up too. Is there anything I can even do about those?

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/sppsvcexe/746e0563-b5e1-4bc9-a802-04bd05851b6a

Your CPU may or may not need retpoline enabled. The latest windows 10 beta release has it enabled by default for the processors that need it, but previous versions of win10 require googling the registry modifications to get it working.

My i5 4670k definitely has the Intel meltdown exploit among others, so the l1 cache is constantly flushed by default as to prevent data leaks. This is what retpoline is for. Invented by Google to work around the l1 cache flushing. Makes a HUGE difference in performance, got about 90% back that I had prior to meltdown.

Yeah, better upgrade :slight_smile: