Bad performance in looking glass at 3440x1440p

I’ve been trying out looking glass for the first time at 3440x1440 and despite it listing as running at 60ups and 60fps, it feels more like around 40fps, I’ve mainly been testing with doom eternal in windowed borderless however its the same in any other app.

I understand that as according to the faq that above 1200p there is performance issues so i’m pretty certain that’s the issue, especially considering that when i try games at 1080p and change the client monitor’s resolution to 1080p as well, it actually feels like 60fps.
However i want to check here just in case there is anything i can do about it.

Specs:
i7 8700k (4c/8t to guest with dynamic isolation)
32gb 3200mhz ram (16gb to guest using dynamic hugepages)
rx580 (host)
rx5700xt (guest)
z370 asrock extreme 4 motherboard
host OS: Arch with kernal 5.9 with ACS and Navi reset patch.
Guest OS: Windows 10 pro 2004
LG Version: B2-0-g76710ef201 from AUR running at default settings.

Thanks for any help

edit:
is it possible that my display cables aren’t good enough?
i got a display port 1.4 for my virtual machine, then a display port to hdmi cable for the host (standard isn’t listed)

edit 2:
Figured it out, i replaced the display port to hdmi cable with a hdmi cable with 18gbps bandwidth, and its now working perfectly.

I was unaware that cable bandwidth mattered so much, but it makes sense. At least i’m assuming it is the bandwidth which made the difference.

4 Likes

Awesome diagnostic, the game must have been limiting it’s render rate due to the link quality. Since UPS and FPS were at 60 it was not a LG bandwidth issue. I will remember this should others report the same.

2 Likes

why would the game render rate get limited when it was an issue with the host gpu to monitor cable?

When i switched monitor inputs to the guest machine, the game ran normally.

Oh, I misunderstood then, I thought you were saying the guest VM was limited due to the cable.

Either way, you had 60UPS at 60FPS which means it’s not an LG issue, but likely a DM/Xorg issue