Bad experience going back to google maps

could be a multitude of reasons.
I know maps used to depend more on your phone’s compass then it does now.
was better then

Couldn’t say for certain unless I was in an equivalent location. I’ve noticed maps doesn’t like hilly areas and the like.

Even Apple’s maps work better in the jitter department, too bad the (Apple) maps in my area are complete outdated garbo

so then its clearly bad software

probably,
well highly likely
maybe

Absolutely experienced these. The speed traps thing is a new feature, I’ve only seen it pop up once, but it takes up a lot of screen real estate for 15-20 seconds or so.

Only had this happen if the business or home has a separate parking lot or long driveway. It defaults to the roadside and not the actual geographic location. Should have been fixed years ago.

Used to be an option to toggle this, don’t see it anymore.

Yes to all of these.

Does this to me for about the first 2 minutes, then it tracks more precisely.

Something that happens to me a lot that you didn’t seem to have happen is that loading up the application from previously being closed entirely (or phone restarted) causes the GPS signal to be lost for about 5 minutes. Very annoying if you legitimately don’t know where you’re going and it can’t even give you text directions. Been an issue since about 2015, doesn’t seem to be something they can or will fix.

god yeah that last one too

howd they let it get this bad man, Id rather use apple maps or the tesla navigator than this hot garbage

Dont go back to google maps… OSM (open street maps) is amazing and very versatile

OSM location lookup is garbage without a mapbox, stadia (not google, different company) or HERE API key, which is why I just use HERE. They fully support OSM offline maps in their app, so things like osmand just don’t make sense.

Oh I was using mozillas location provider it did fine for me… but yeah also the look up for places sucks. I wish FOSS maps would get better

foss maps are excellent when paired with decent GIS lookup. HERE is just OSM without awful lookup. Same with MQ open, stadia, and mapbox.

if you take issue with the amount of telemetry they use (far less than google) then you’d probably also take issue with any search engine that isn’t self hosted.

Ill have to look into this

they’re arguably the best provider ime, and I’ve tried them all.

if you want to see exactly what they do with your lookups you can get a free api key and use it with something like pure maps for extra tinfoil. Same goes for Mapbox.