Back up data on cloud in a decent way

I have Syncthing across my devices with versioning. I imagine you could do it with a remote server also for backup purposes.

@Peanut253 Thanks for the long and detailed post, I appreciate the time and effort you put in the answer.

@ro55mo I don't need to spend money because I'm not going to backup big files, only docs and PDFs. I have 15GB for free on my One Drive and it's more than enough for my needs.

I tried every service going before settling on SpiderOak.

Crashplan, Carbonite, BackBlaze... The main issue was that the clients were all crap in some way, usually scheduling and compatibility with power management.

I was using a custom solution for a while, back when Microsoft gave you 1TB for free on OneDrive. When that ended I moved to SpiderOak. Their tech support is very responsive and helpful, the best I have ever used.

The only issue I have with SpiderOak is that it needs as much disk space as the largest file it backs up in its temporary folder. On Windows that defaults to the C: drive, on Linux in /tmp. I had some 180GB drive image backups that I wanted to save, so it tried to create a 180GB file on C: and filled up the drive. I fixed that by moving its data to a spare drive.

Either make symlinks like Kuro said or rename the files like "folder x - doc1.xslx" and "folder x - file2.png" and stuff. maybe that'll help you remember and later, recover the files.

1 Like