Back into Gaming... Modern Recommendations?

Hello everyone!

Recently, I’ve gotten back into PC Gaming. Steam had a major sale (what else is new?) and I purchased the Far Cry games. I played Far Cry when it first came out, and I recalled enjoying it. I read a lot of good things about Far Cry 3 on this forum and others. Holy shit. Have I been missing out, or what?

Using a flamethrower to light up cannabis farms of a giant cartel boss, while blasting what sounded like Damian Marley and Skrillex had a profound, life changing impact on my life. I need more of this.

So, I’ll give you a run down. The most recent games I bought and enjoyed (aside from the Far Cry franchise) were Mankind Divided, Persona 5, Final Fantasy XV, Dark Souls 3, Rainbow Six: Siege, and The Witcher 3 (aka horse-riding simulator :wink: ). Scratch Mankind Divided, Final Fantasy XV, and Persona off the list, because those were PS 4. So, I’ve been out of the PC Gaming sphere for a while.

Is there anything on the market worth buying? I really love The Elder Scrolls franchise, CRPG reboots/modernizations (Pillars of Eternity, Tyranny), 2D/3D MetroidVania (Salt and Sanctuary, Soulsbourne franchise), complex strategy/RPG hybrids (Sins of a Solar Empire, Warhammer III: DoW, Stellaris), and open world, story centric games (Far Cry 3 really did it for me, wish there were choices though, I also like the Batman games, Alpha Protocol, [not so much open world, but you get the idea]).

Any modern recommendations you can make would be great. Looking at my list above, clearly I’ve bought more recent additions than Rainbow Six lol. Also, I just bought PC Building Simulator. Simulations are a guilty pleasure of mine, but I don’t bank a ton of hours into them at a time. Maybe 1 or 2 at a time.

Anyway, thanks in advance!

2 Likes

Skyrim if you haven’t already
Half-Like 2 and with episode 1 & 2
Alien Isolation
LIMBO
Darkest Dungeon (if you hate yourself)
World of Goo
FTL: Faster than Light
Borderlands 1 & 2
The modern X-COM reboots
Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor (not the sequel Shadow of War)
Wolfenstein: The New Order (and sequels)
DOOM
Dishonored 1 & 2 plus all the DLC
The Banner Saga 1 & 2
Endless Space 1 & 2
Homeworld (Remastered)
Bioshock series
S.T.A.L.K.E.R Shadow of Chernobyl
Portal 1 & 2

3 Likes

Dishonored 2 and Dishonored Death of the Outsider are great.
GRIP (currently early access) is also a lot of fun if you like combat racers (like Rollcage)
Firewatch is a must-play in my opinion

1 Like

This.

4 Likes

Dude! This looks like exactly what I was looking for, thank you! Your other recommendations I have played or don’t have too keen an interest in. Thank you for the exhaustive list though :smiley:

Based on the synopsis and reviews, I’m going to have to check it out lol. Thank you!

I will consider it on a rainy day, but it looks too… intense. I’m a bit of a bitch when it comes to games like this lol. Took me years to play through Outlast and some Silent Hill games.

2 Likes

Doom really isn’t a “scary game” Its like dragging the monster out of your closet and curb stomping it.

4 Likes

Im still playing Skyrim heavily modded…Beyond bruma is cool.

Just started playing Fallout 4 and enjoying it. Xcom 2 was fun to play through once. The maps are repetitive but.

Civ V I have dumped a ton of hours into. Supreme Commander: Forged alliance as well. Both are older games.

A lot of the new games are multiplayer / online and very repetitive. PUBG and the esports titles etc. I can’t do them I farmed myself out when I played WoW.

1 Like

New Assassin’s Creed Origins is pretty damn good. Actually it’s awesome.

You are welcome.

Play Banner Saga 1 before 2. It uses the choices you make for the 2nd game.

With DOOM the key is movement. Movement is life. And yes it is pretty intense. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

For a chill day and a real throwback, I’m playing Thimbleweed Park and it is really good.
I still need to finish it but I can already say it is every bit as good and challenging as the best old point & click titles.
If you like Monkey Island or Day Of The Tentacle, this is a must.

Also look into Supergiant Games.

2 Likes

Dragon Age: Inquisition
Divinity: Original Sin 2

Both have great mods, and “too complex” choices to sociopath, DA:I has world state import from earlier DA’s,
and that reminds me,

Mass Effect trilogy,
These are annoying to mod though and I cant do that ME1’s driving again, just, no. :fearful:

Bonus note:
Lumasharpen

I did play through Dragon Age: Origins on playstation and that was awesome.
I haven’t heard a lot of good things about Inquisition to be honest.

Did you play the first one? What would you say are the main differences if so?

1 Like

FTL is great as well. I play it at times.

The sci-fi horror aspect of Doom can be a turn off to some. While I have not played them yet, in this case, I would recommend the new Wolfenstein games. Same developer as Doom, and they look incredible, if you like shooters.

Another game I like is Oxygen Not Included. It is early access, but is being worked on constantly by a reputable developer. I oove the art style and gameplay.

As probably my favorite game series, I would recommend the Dark Souls games. Extremely challenging and rewarding at the same time.

1 Like

It started off with same old Denuvo problems, although they were brand new problems back then, and nobody had cards to play that game :man_shrugging:t2:

For me that game has become that replay title, and I havent replayed DA:O & DA2 like I used to do before that

2 Likes

That was one of my favorite gaming moments ever. And yes, that is Skrillex and Damian Marley haha.

I have to recommend Skyrim as well. The mods for it are just insane. It’s a 6 1/2 year old game that looks just as good as (if not better than) anything on the market today thanks to the modding community. There are entire expansions you can download for free, and even an entirely different game that was built on Skyrim. I forget what it’s called though.

Also check out Firewatch. It’s definitely a more laid-back game, but the art style is relaxing and the soundtrack is nice. There’s a little bit of suspense too. It’s a great break form the norm; a calming mystery/suspense game. It’s semi-open world, kind of like the Fable series was (there are paths, but you can take whichever paths you want if you feel like exploring. You’re not stuck going in one direction the whole time). It’s not as linear as like an FPS game, but it’s not as open as games like The Elder Scrolls series. It’s mostly story-driven. There aren’t any quick-time events (I HATE quick-time events) that I can remember.

1 Like

Oh, Inquisition is the third one? I thought it was the second. OK, that makes more sense now. :slight_smile:

Inquisition was amazing. There were… time based quests, I guess you could call it? You would send “troops” or “spies” to certain regions to exert influence or help a faction to gain favor or items. Really interesting and a lot of fun.

Dragon Age 2 was great! The main complaint I had was the maps were reused, a LOT. So, you played the same map 100x, it just had jungle paint, snow paint, desert paint, etc. The story, though, was fantastic. The Mage versus Templar was tense, and the NPCs/Party members phenomenal character development made that game great.

Especially when the main Templar dude goes crazy and drinks mage blood to get power to kill mages. I don’t remember if that’s exactly what happened but it was f*cked up and SERIOUSLY epic at the same time.

Rocket League.
Soccer in radio controlled cars. A racing game + a sports game = Perfection.

I have been playing video games since PONG and I consider RL the greatest game of all time.
Not the greatest video game. The greatest game ever. Because it’s the perfect mix of goofy fun and a serious e-sport. Easy to learn, yet hard to master and not demanding a super PC. I have handed the controller to a 70 year old woman who had never played a video game in her life and in one minute she was having a blast! The beauty is each match is 5 minutes. I play 2 or 3 matches nearly every day. I’m an old man who uses cunning and college physics to beat the 12 year old’s. My secret is to “Be where is ball is going to be, not where it is.”

Plus it’s only $20, each extra car is $2 (but not needed because all cars are almost the same) and you can turn off microtransactions so you will never see them. Today I saw the Batmobile so I splurged on the $4 DC DLC. I didn’t realize it had Flash and Wonder Woman stuff too. So I fixed up my GF’s truck.

Other good games.

3 Likes

Except the the delorean, you need that. You do, just accept that.
And yes, CARBALL motherfucker! Everyone should have that.
One of the dumbest ideas turned into one of the best games I know.

Dammit, now I have to watch those movies again…

2 Likes

Uhhhhhh slime rancher, Stardew Valley, TF2 had an update recently, CSGO is still trash, battlerite is cool, Dota 2 is more Dota 2, Age Of Empires 2 HD,. AOE4 when its out, IDK what else I’ve been playing… Uhhhh night in the woods?