B450 Tomahawk max. 2600x was to make do, just got the 5900X, wish me luck

Good luck mate!

1 Like

Thank you! Really stable now with the memory set right, not had a single blue screen of death since running the memory at 3733mhz CL16 no matter what I’ve thrown at it, and going a bit overkill on the cooler was probably a decent move since I’ve seen the CPU wattage go above 175W on torture tests

At least it’s not 240w+ cough Intel 12900K/S on simple testing

1 Like

Haha true, i don’t think you’d get away with air cooling with one of those!

Did you decide whether or not to take the plunge on an upgrade?

Well, I had to make a forced upgrade :slight_smile: My PSU shit the bed and took the mobo, cpu and case fans with it!

So I made an emergency run to BestBuy last Sunday an hour before closing to see what they had. I got an Asus ROG B550-F Gaming mobo, a 5800X and a Corsair RM 750 PSU and some a pack of the Corsair SP120 fans with the rgb controller.

So I took the plunge so to speak :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sorry to hear about the PSU killing the gear in your PC :frowning: Nice setup though, and at least now you got PCIE 4 for a future card upgrade!

True. My 2060 is doing pretty good so far, tho if prices keep coming down I may pickup a 3060Ti or a 3070 maybe.

1 Like

Still waiting for prices to get sensible for GPU’s. Can’t see it happening with Nvidia or AMD. that 8GB RX580 a few years back for 139 quid seems like stunning buy lol

GPU for games or rendering?

Gaming mainly. Upgraded to a 32 inch monitor, and the poor old RX580 is working a bit harder than I’d like even in web based games

Make sure you get something with more VRAM as well 8GB will soon not be enough

2 Likes

Had a look at a bit of per-core undervolting. I was quite surprised by the results. Got the cores boosting a good bit higher overall, and more consistently. Not too shabby on a B450 board with air cooling

100%. and Nvidia don’t seem to be getting any more generous with the VRAM anytime soon either, keeping my eye on RX6800 prices, and Intel seem to be surprising a few reviewers with their cards now they are improving drivers etc

Best GPU deal on the market right now seems to be 6700 XT for $370 (if you want a high end gaming card). You might also be interested in a 6950 XT or a 7900 XT(X), though, buying either in that price category would mean you stick to that card at least 5 years.

Paying more than $1000 for a GPU? Why the hell are you even considering this, might as well buy a cheap AM4 + 6600 XT system for your kids instead - that also costs $1000 and you’ll probably get 2 weeks of “BEST PARENT EVAR” stickers to boot! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Gotta remember this is a B450 board, so the GPU slot is PCI express 3, therefore would much prefer a GPU with all 16 PCI express lanes. the RX6700/6750 has 12 lanes enabled, the RX6600 has 8 lanes enabled. AMD’s way of screwing customers of old hardware through the GPU despite giving them years of compatibility with the CPU. Also be nice to have a card with a good amount of GDDR6 now resizable bar is a thing to boost performance

This is false they have all 16 lanes also it’s been proven 8 lanes have a very negligible effect on performance of that their of card

As long as you don’t run out of VRAM this is not much of a problem and AMD tends to put more VRAM than Nvidia per performance level

As for the reason they do this is to reduce space on the die so they can squeeze more out per wafer

A benefit of only using the lanes you need you have 8 lanes to use on other add in cards or m.2

1 Like

That’s really cool! Your results got me really hopeful, I was looking to do a similar jump from a 2600 to a 5950x once the used prices go down a bit more (I’ve seen it around for 380€ here).

The motherboard is an MSI B450M Gaming Plus and from what I could dig the VRMs are ok, the CPU is supported in the latest BIOS update… but I dunno if it’ll be stable. :x
I was also thinking of upgrading the PSU and cooling solution to be on the safe side, hopefully it doesn’t fizzle regardless lol.

1 Like

Use caution. B450 boards were ‘mostly’ notorious for having a super weak VRM. the Tomahawk was one of the exceptions, despite on paper not being particularly impressive. Hardware unboxed did a comparison and luckily this board performed well with the 16 core 3950X. a good test might be to try a bit of overclocking with your current CPU and see how it affects VRM themals using open hardware monitor. the 5800X3D might be a better option for future proofing with is better performance in gaming and lower power requirements compared to the 5900X or 5950X due to its massively increased on die cache increase.

1 Like

Yeah I guess you’re right. From what I could dig, these two boards both have the same VRMs (4 sets of 4C029N and 4C024N pairs) but mine has no heatsink on half of them and the case is too cramped for a strong airflow. ^^’
32 threads would be sweet since I mostly use my computer as a Linux workstation but if it demands a new board then I’d much rather run a 5800X3D and wait for the next generation or two before upgrading the platform I run on.

1 Like