B450 3000G and Pico PSU?

I have a weird idea of building a silent system

I have some 2x8 GB DDR4 2400 sticks, a 120GB m2 drive, a ITX case, a 160 watt Pico PSU and a power brick

So… I just ordered a Fatal1ty B450 Gaming-ITX/ac and a 3000G CPU, with a fanless heatsink.

I can see in the manual of the board, that its possible to plug in 4 pin PSUs (compared to the 8 pins the board have), and I would imagine that this is one of the lowest watt APUs out there, there should be no problem in doing that - or am I wrong?

I’m kinda excited if this actually works, I would end up using a bunch of my spareparts I can not sell anyway, and it have not costed me a whole lot + I would get a pretty epic silent little machine for general use out of it.

Yes it would work with only 4 pin in the CPU. It will put what it needed, and shut down if it goes above, but with a 3000G it would be a non-issue.

Just be sure that you’re power brick is 12V, as most Pico PSU only accept 12V input. If you want to use run of the mill laptop power bricks which has 19-19.5V output, the HDPLEX 200W is your friend :wink:

Small builds are fun ^^

i cant remember where i bought it from, but its bought as a power supply ment for audio grade HTPC components, so should be pretty high quality.

Its maybe 5-6 years old but ended up never really using it.

I do have another silent system like this, my actual HTPC, and it also runs off a Pico, but a 80 watt one and works absolute beautiful.
But thats a much older AM1 based APU that uses almost no power and does not get warm at all.

This is a little different but should be a lot of fun

I currently use a i3-3225 based system with a 1050ti as my daily system, for light tasts as office and web browsing. But my kids want it to game on, so daddy need to switch some things up and loves to play with new hardware, even low powered ones

Doesn’t really matter what it’s built for or how high the quality is if the Voltage isn’t correct. If you feed 19V into that 12V PSU you’re gonna blow it and/or your MB/CPU up.
So check the label on it, it should have the output voltage on it. Anything not in the spec of your picoPSU I would not risk it.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.