AV1 - 11900k vs 5950x

Im wondering which one to buy for the future to stream/encode AV1 as twitch and other platforms switch over to it in the next few years. 11900k or 5950x

This latest speed 8 AV1 1080 encoding bench shows 11900k on top but no 5950x bench yet.

Thoughts? Help? Other info I dont know?

For higher power draw, higher heat production and half the threads, I rather stick with Ryzen…

4 Likes

As per GN review of the 11900k, I would go Ryzen. It is within margin of error when the 11900k is faster and the 5900x beats the 11900k in multi-threaded workloads.

This.
While the Intel part draws only 10W more, it does so for nearly twice as long in multi-threaded loads.

4 Likes

Uhm… even if Twitch actually goes AV1 in the future, I doubt you’d be able to game and live-encode AV1 at a decent quality at the same time, “a few years from now”, with a CPU of today (or even a CPU of “a few years from now”). AV1 is incredibly hard to encode and the main reason it is not on streaming services, because it requires ridiculous amounts of compute both on the streamer side and in their datacenters for transcoding. Not to mention it also requires quite some resources to decode without a hardware decoder, which not many devices yet have. Youtube also doesn’t provide AV1 as a transcode for livestreams for that reason, they have a handful of videos for testing purposes and that’s it.

Long story short, ask again when they actually support it. Twitch has been announcing VP9 like 3 years ago at this point and it is still only available for “select partners”. So go figure.

1 Like

Twitch advertised last year it would move away from VP9 and X264 and phase out all but AV1 by 2025 so it is the future…but it takes beast machines to do it. The 11900k and the 5950x will do AV1 at 1080 x 120fps at what we currently know as Fast setting aka speed 8 av1 but both struggle to do 60 fps at Medium aka speed 4 av1. I guess I’ll wait for zen 4 and alder lake, grabbed a super cheap 10850k on sale for now.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.