L1's Garage

That’s my main issue with electric cars. Other than that, I think they’d be totally fine.

I liked the Tesla idea where they dropped the battery and replaced it. That would be a cool design. Only problem is battery wear. A battery isn’t the same as a bottle or gas tank.

1 Like

Well i was kinda thinking, you know the old concept of a dynamo right?
Wouldnt it be somehow possible to creat a system that could re-generate power to charge the batteries?

Ditto. I think there will be a fix, but I honestly don’t think it’s going to be with currant batteries (LiPo, Li-ion) or capacitors. I think we need something new, but there are a few tricks that will help in the mean time.

Not as bad as you’d think. My Leaf has 50,000 miles on it, and 92% of the battery is usable (and Tesla’s batteries are better).
If they charged $15 or even 20 I think Tesla would be fine, but the initial start up cost for a project like this probably scares Tesla away from it.

I’m familiar with a dynamo only at surface level.

Never said wear was a major issue, but something to calculate into. I agree that Tesla isn’t the correct company to do it today, but they’ll probably be the first company to try it. VAG could do it with their Audi money.

1 Like

I was just pointing out that if they charge a little money then they could replace the batteries with out losing money, and costumers wouldn’t have to worry about there batteries. Win win (I think).

I dream of an RX7 FB… Odd dream, but I love how they look. Also rotary is cool :U

3 Likes

Not sure how this fits in to “automotive” but it’s still pretty sweet.
My brother and his buddies built this in their spare time. It’s got a 600cc Suzuki GSXR motor strapped to it.

Pretty freaking scary. It has a shifter to change through the gears, but we have yet to find a local track willing to let us drive it.
“Safety concerns, liability issues, no roll cage, blah, blah, blah”

4 Likes

Photo from the ‘24 Hours of LEMONS’ race. No car may cost over $500.

I like the idea of electric cars, so others can offset my carbon footprint.

Homer Simpson said it best:
“Powerful like a gorilla, with a ride as soft as a marshmallow and when I mash the gas pedal I want it to sound like the world is coming to an end !”

3 Likes

edit: Best. Clickbait Headline. Ever.

The Vision Mercedes-Maybach 6 Cabriolet Should Raise Property Values For 200 Miles In Any Direction

1 Like

1953 Abarth 1100 Sport by Ghia

3 Likes

Great choice IMO.

I’m a big Mazda fan, and I will build a Wankel engine sometime, not sure what I’ll put it into yet.

Fits perfect! I definitely want to see Stuff like this.

Before I had my license I made all kinds of wacky things

Haha memories

4 Likes

My neighborhood growing up was on a steep hill and we made coaster go-karts, usually with yard sale baby carriage wheels. Then like 10 of us at a time would have demolition derby races down the hill. No Brakes.

One day a pack of us were flying down the hill while a 911 was flying up the hill.
He was pretty pissed that a tow truck had to pull him out of the ditch in the woods.

1 Like

Haha I like it

I see you like long sleek cars, very cool.
It’s not my type of car, but I do love seeing them.

The accurate 1100 reminds me of a Ford with a bullet type nose (jet turbine maybe) that I saw years ago, I don’t remember what it was though.

I was looking at getting a 67ish Buick sports wagon. It had a 3 on the tree

It’s long, but not so sleek.

I also had a hill near me and build a downhill go kart. Unfortunately I don’t have any pictures of it, but my father taught me how to weld building a frame to fit 20" bike wheels on the back (Red Wagon Wheels on the front).
That project got used more than any of my other ones (probably combined).

Maybe my parents will have a picture of it.

3 Likes

That’s all kinds of awesome! I especially like the 20 liter oil lid steering wheel. Very inventive and innovative use of surplus/salvage material.
@TeckMonster How old were you at the time?

1 Like

First off let me just say, I f***ing love your username.

Oh man… It was a bit before I had my license, so I was probably 13 or 14.

1 Like

1949 Ford

I used to have one of those big expensive metal collector models, but I lost it when I moved. :disappointed_relieved:

2 Likes

That could be it, but I remember it looking a little different. I could just be combining different cars in my head though. I do remember it was a convertible, or a 4 door.

That suck. I’ve had that crap happen to me.

I love the scenery in that picture. It fits the car perfectly.

@anon69321716

Mazda RX-3

Mitsubishi Galant

Nissan Skyline
nissan-skyline

4 Likes

Those are pretty dope.

1 Like