L1's Garage

My old man has been neglecting this one for far too long, time to take her out of the shed to see if I can get it to run.

3 Likes

Now that you mentioned it i noticed most “Odyvias” around the web have either a warped grille or no grille at all.
And its not like its the stock Odyssey Absolute grille, they look like custom pieces to fit the S13s.
This red one however looks correct.
img

1 Like

No juice, shockingly.

2 Likes

I’m guessing with juice and fresh gas it’ll fire up. How long was it sitting?

I think it hasn’t been running for two years, and before that it was only used a few days of the year for a long time.

The other morning the road was slightly damp with dew.

My car will disable traction control when the brake fliud low light comes on too long ( which happens during hard accel 1st thru 4th pull )

By the time I got into town, the TC had been disabled. I forgot about it being off.
From a stop light… I started to accel pretty hard while turning left…

I felt the ass end get loose and I expected the car to pull power and fix itself like always… and when it does I end up pushing the gas more because of the power it pulls to get traction again…

Well… this morning was different. I gave it more gas and the wheels spun more… It fish tails a couple times… almost saved it then slid passenger side first toward the south bound lanes. Ended up sliding ass first into the south bound lane and stopped.

I restarted the engine and was able to get behind the dump trunk that was behind me at the light and then keep going.
Felt like an idiot as the other cars behind me watched the whole thing happen.

lol

2 Likes

hnnnnnng

Please take care of her.

When you get her cranked over, go slowly at first. It’s likely that the crank and tranny seals could be all dried out.

1 Like

I got it to run, was gonna go for a drive but the gas pedal lever gets stuck when pushed so you gotta manually bring it back. That was just too cumbersome to drive with so I put it in the garage for now, gonna have a look at it another day.

Engine ran like a dream after about a minute or so though.

2 Likes

That’s a Merc for ya.

My recommendation is to look at the throttle cable. It’s probably all gunked up.

Yeah this car needs a lot of TLC, gonna give it some and suggest that the old man sell it to someone who will care for it.

2 Likes

If you’re in US, what region? I might know a guy. :thinking:

I’m in Europe, funnily this car was imported from Connecticut. Not often you see a US imported Merc in Europe.

1 Like

Ah, I was thrown off by something about it.

If there weren’t an ocean in the way, I’d love to have it.

2 Likes

I thought one of the F1 rules changes for next year is interesting.

1. The cars get 5kg more fuel so they don’t have to save gas with the throttle. That doesn’t seem like very much but it was said on most circuits they don’t need much. = More flat out racing.

2. There is now a minimum driver weight, so the pilots don’t have to diet like jockeys and bigger people can be considered. Before, car and driver were weighed together.

The third change to the regulations will see all drivers wear biometric gloves in 2019, which have been trialed this year and allow medical staff to monitor the vital signs of drivers in the event of an accident. A 3mm sensor in the glove monitors pulse rate and the amount of oxygen in the blood, with plans to monitor body temperature and respiratory rate in the future.

All racers need this!
Maybe emergency responders like the military, police and fire fighters will get them too.
Trickle down tech.

2 Likes

Wow! This Memminger Super Beetle limited production (20) tuner roadster is sweet.
It’s one of those subtle not-quite custom not-quite one off’s that make you look twice.
“I know it’s just a Beetle, but I don’t remember Beetles looking that nice.”

The tuner makes many replacement body panels for Super Beetles and nearly every surface has been massaged / stretched / tweaked for re-manufacturing. The whole car is slightly lower, wider, longer to make the proportions and performance just right. It has a tube frame with the engine flipped to mid-engine with 210HP. Again, that sounds like just about right amount of power. It’s no Porsche, but I bet it’s fast.

2 Likes

No wonder my trip odo, and clock kept reseting. My Hazards also blew. Those still dont work. eh. Think I just need some way to step up the voltage from 12v to maybe something like 18v for the LEDs that I have replacing the Incandescents. The turn signals works but are pretty dim. The brake light is pretty dim too until both 12v wires are hot.

The stock bulbs work just fine with the new fuse. No idea why it blew, must’ve poked something I shouldn’t have.

Is it just me or is that image being displayed super weird?

Image is stretched. Led’s should use less power, not more.

They should, but are not. The LEDs are no the reason for the fuse blows. However it is less about the amount of power and more on the voltage needed to get a certain brightness. I dont have the tools to properly test at my place though. Kinda stuck for the time being I guess.

Yea, I dunno what it up with the image. Displays just fine when you click on it.

Clicked image displays 90 degrees rotated and image is correct. Weird.

Sounds like those LEDs are faulty. I’d try another set.