L1's Garage

Stopped watching F1 a long time ago, FIA and Bernie ruined it. MotoGP is where it’s at.

Bernie was fired.
It’s not healed yet, the patient is on life support, but now it’s in the better hands of Liberty Media. They are trying but it can’t pull the plug and start over in 2 years.

240z has the same engine as my S10 and they’ve got a Powerstroke turbo on it, it’s making 320hp & 400 ft-lbs to the wheels.

S10 manual swap update:
Got the auto trans out yesterday.
I used 2 (questionable) tie down straps to lower the trans since I don’t have a transmission jack.
I hate that autos don’t have a drain plug, and I didn’t feel like dropping the pan, so I had a big mess to clean up.

I called it quits when I rounded off a bolt on the flexplate. Guess I’ll weld a nut to it.

2 Likes

Love it, if it works it ain’t stupid.

2 Likes

Two ways I deal with rounded bolts before welding;
1] use a socket type easy out.
2] use a cold chisel.
Before I invested in the “bolt out” I would use a cold chisel. Hold the chisel at a near 90 degree to one of the flats and start hammering. You want to make sure the angle is such that you don’t remove part of the bolt head. It may take awhile but works in all cases I have found.

I’ll bet there is lock-tight on those bolts…use heat to loosen the lock-tight.

1 Like

Jalopnic asked for stories about getting caught. This is mine.

The town next to me was a notorious speed trap because their cops had nothing better to do. It was a no-alcohol town. I was driving on the main route through town and this section of road was perfectly straight for 1/2 a mile. I was safely driving 50 MPH in a 35 MPH zone when I got pulled over.

The officer approached my car and asked “Sir. Do you know what the speed limit is on this road?”
There was a 35 MPH Speed Limit sign right at my front bumper.
Me > “About 50.”
The officer laughed and said “Next time keep it under 50 then” and let me go.

It was the only time a cop ever gave me a break.

2 Likes

Please help me, I’m lusting after the 1987 Toyota mr2 and I know its a weekend type of car but it just looks so nice and sounds really pleasing to drive in. I need someone to redpill me before I begin to look for some on sale!

1 Like

I will do no such thing. If you can afford it, and it’s a good price, I’d jump on it. Very cool car, and unlikely to depreciate.

Am I helping?

Do you live in a region with lots of rain? If so, don’t get one. Water gets in through the “hood” louvers, and more importantly, snap oversteer in that thing is why there are so few of them left.

You’re basically staring down the grim reaper on every interstate exit. Either take it extremely slowly from the get go, or you’ve committed to that speed. The second you brake, the rear-end will kick out.

Interesting. Do you know if snap oversteer is a problem with a Pontiac Fiero, and do you think wider tires on the rear would fix this?

Yes. Not as bad as the mr2, but it still exists.

Snap oversteer has nothing to do with tire grip and everything to do with weight transfer and downforce on the rear tires.

1 Like

Don’t scare away a future japorsche owner

1 Like

I think I just found our next LeMons victim.

Everything works in car

Uh huh, that’s why it’s $600.

Hell, as long as it doesn’t have rod knock, there’s oil in it and the gas tank doesn’t have rat shit in it, I think I’ll be in good shape.

1 Like

Found out about “Odyvias” a few days ago, kinda want one now…

1 Like

That Nissan looks good, but I don’t think I could drive something that low.

Yeah, me neither, it would have to be higher or on bags…

I wouldn’t be able to get that thing into my driveway unless it’s at least 3 inches higher. It’s a major pain in the ass, which is part of why I have a Miata, the bumpers work in such a way that they don’t scrape and the car can still be somewhat low.

Wow! That is pretty sharp looking car. The grill looks a bit warped/bent, but if that was addressed that would be an extremely good looking car. Props to whoever built that.

I’d drive it the way it sits.

I have driven in such a MR2 once, it was a manual.
And all i can say is that they are really fun the drive.
But you have to be very awake on wet roads cause they drift pretty quickly.

1 Like

There’s a term for rear-engine cars.

tail happy deathwagon