L1's Garage

Seem to remember one of the norse countries talking about that.

Not a bad way to cut back on smog, but I don’t like the idea.

Yeah petrol cars have such a catalytic converter.
Diesel cars have a extra filter.

Ah. Not sure what it’s called on diesel then. (I don’t work on diesel, so I wouldn’t really know.)

Well there are more countries that are going to make drastic changes to that.
I think that France is also going to stop sellings on new cars with a diesel or petrol engine in the future.
Or atleast i heard something about that on television.

So yeah probablly 10 years from now, there probablly wont be any new cars with petrol or diesel engines made anymore.
Atleast not for the european market.

That’s fine to me, but banning them from cities doesn’t seem like the best idea.

Don’t mistake my thoughts for disliking electric. I really think it’s awesome and cool, but electric isn’t quite ready for prime-time.

I agree but i guess that is what the future will eventually lead to.
There are allready green zones in manny major citties,
They are allready banning older diesel cars from citties etc.

The tolls are already higher for diesels, a total ban is unlikely but we already have days in winter where odd/even number plated cars only are allowed to drive every other day.

From 2025 new diesel/gasoline cars won’t be sold anymore.

1 Like
2 Likes

Any Doug Demuro fans here? I love the guy but he does really dumb stuff sometimes, skip to 12:14 to watch him see an equalizer for the first time.

1 Like

Im currently trying to talk my mother in law out of a 1968 BSA that needs restored. I dont have many details as of yet. I will update when I have more specifics.

I’ve found him to be a bit of a gateway drug to better content.

He definitely makes some interesting content from time-to-time, but I’m not a regular viewer.

1 Like

He’s ok, but his voice, I can’t stand it for extended periods.

The TL;DR of what a cat does is it has Platinum (etc) + Ceramics in it. When the Platinum gets hot it acts as a catalyst to make the unburned last few percent of fuel and garbage in the exhaust have a chemical reaction, so it burns without burning.

It completes the burn so all you get is water, carbon dioxide and nitrogen out of the tailpipe.
I heard the the exhaust from a Porsche is so clean you can’t kill yourself with it.
It’s cleaner than the air the engine sucks in, depending on where you live.

A Particulate Filter on a diesel is like a smoke filter. Some use Urea (pee, Yeeuck!).

Definitely not true.

1 Like

yeah, you’re still lacking that essential oxygen bit and I doubt it gets all the other shit down to perfectly clean levels.

#1. Just repeating what Porsche’s marketing guy said.

#2. Please don’t take everything so literally. Most people don’t commit suicide by connecting a hose from their tailpipe to a scuba mask. They sit in a garage (that has plenty of O2) with the car running.

This is just too much fun.

2 Likes

Car sales report in Norway for March:

Electric - 37,2%
Hybrids - 26,8%
Gasoline - 20%
Diesel - 16%

The market is moving incredibly fast, once the Model 3 hits the market the EV sales are gonna get close to 50% on a monthly basis.

3 Likes

I think his CarMax warranty saga was the best thing he’s done, this stuff is alright

Goodbye old friend :disappointed_relieved:
Bought it for $800 with clapped out suspension and a whole host of other issues, she served me well for eight years and will be missed.

Having been driving my more modern and comfortable Impreza for the last two years and having had enough with emissions issues it was time to let her go.
1 Like