L1's Garage

All seriousness though, I’m probably going to get a new clutch at the same time, but I wanted to wait to get a new one until I started chasing power (considering there’s not point getting a new 150ft/lb clutch if I’m going to be making the car put out 200ft/lb in 3 months), plus I don’t want to be constantly taking the car apart.

Unfortunately, the clutch packages all seem to be close to $700, so that’s definitely not something I’m looking forward to.

Hey, so I know you’ve made all this power, but in order to control that power and send it to the wheels, you’re going to need to spend another large chunk of money.

1 Like

Right, I have a repair I need to do on my S10, but I’m about to do a manual swap so I’ll just take care of it then.

What?! Those better have multiple clutch plates and coming with an aluminum flywheel.

Ok, maybe not that crazy. I’d still expect an aluminum flywheel though.

Single plate, new flywheel.

https://www.flyinmiata.com/fm-clutch-happy-meal-na-nb.html

Miatas have always been a car that’s in the midrange as far as aftermarket pricing.

If I’m getting a clutch/pressure plate, I’m going to make sure it’s got a flywheel as well. Might as well replace it while you’re in there.

Yeah, that’s really the best time. Any time the car’s going to either be down for major maintenance or you’ve got to pull the engine/trans, you might as well take care of the clutch.

1 Like

Not aluminum, but it still looks like a decent lightweight flywheel.

Are you part of any Miata forms?

1 Like

I post on the subreddit, but that’s about it.

I’m tempted to head over to miataturbo.net, but TBH, I wouldn’t spend enough time there.

1 Like

I’m probably not going to replace the clutch. Next year I want to swap a 5.3 in it with my tax return, and the clutch felt incredibly good anyways, but normally I would full heartedly agree.

If it feels fine and the mileage isn’t terrible, it’s probably fine. Mine is original and 140k miles, so it’s really gotten a good life, if you ask me.

1 Like

That forum doesn’t look too bad (though we’re spoiled with this forum, so everything else absolutely sucks).

The S10 forums are absolute garbage to use, it literally took me a couple minutes to figure out how to reply on my phone.

http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f2/s10forum-rules-and-regulations-140813/#/topics/836402?page=2

1 Like

I could definitely the difficulty with S10 forums.

Right? Between the braintrust and the beautiful functionality of discourse, I have a tendency to stick my nose up at other forums. I know I shouldn’t act so spoiled, but I’ve been here for nearly 3 years, and I’ve only just found out that I’m here forever

1 Like

I’m sure the clutch on my blazer (aka the donor vehicle) has been replaced recently it, because it has 220k miles on it, and it was able to lay rubber in 2nd gear, and the bite point was near the top the clutch pedal.

Absolutely terrible. It’s almost as if they intentionally made it hard to use haha.

Yup discourse is amazing. The next best thing I’ve used would be LTT, but still not as good IMO.

1 Like

puts on sleeveless flannel and jiffy lube hat Yep, nothin like burnin tyre in da mornin…

Haven’t spent a whole lot of time over there. It seems like a decent place, but I’m not sure I like the community. Seems like there’s a bit of sewage spilling over from youtube.

PSA: All communities should use discourse.

1 Like

Honestly I feel like people take one look at the Blazer and automatically assume I’m a punk ass teenager.

It’s loud, the paint is fading, it’s beat, has oversized tires, it’s black with the plasti dipped Wheels, and limo tint. I kinda feel like a punk teenager driving it.

Anyway, it’s 11:40 and I have to get up at 5:30, so goodnight man, thanks for telling me about your Miata plans, it’s always fun to talk cars.

1 Like

I got’s a question. In drag racing, after they are lined up and are revving for the launch, often times you’ll see the cars lurch forward a number of times just before the actual take off. The only thing similar that I can think of relative to motorcycles is like something like chain stalling. Seeing as they still revving them engines I’d wager they are not stalling… Just possibly not. What be going on there?

I think they are moving up to engage the start light. Once both cars are in the light the christmas tree automatically starts the countdown. There is sometimes mindgames played at this point.

1 Like

Ooo, I didn’t realize it’ll automatically trigger. That would make quite a bit of sense then.

Definitely is, happy to hear about your plans as well. When I decide to pull the trigger, you guys will be the first to know.

This is most likely a transbrake. Basically, it’s an electronic override where the transmission is placed in both first and reverse at the same time, This allows them to use the torque converter to hold load on the engine so it can build boost. Drag cars tend to have huge turbos that take 3 to 7 seconds to really build boost. In a boosted car, you wanna be making as much boost as possible straight off the line to not waste any time.

1 Like

They run autos? I had no idea. That would make the idea quite different from what I was thinking. I certainly understand the building boost idea.

Lots do.

Auto can hold significantly more power and you don’t really want to worry about shifting when keeping 1500tq facing the right direction is a full-time job.

Another reason is that loud car noises are awesome.

2 Likes

I have no experience with a trans brake. Why would the car be moving forward like TRS is asking? It doesn’t make sense to me unless he is creeping up on the stage light.

Rotors ordered. Found a set of Brembo OEM rotors for $171, so I went with those. Probably going to order pads in the next week or so as well. Not sure if I should just finish it off and get calipers as well.

2 Likes