L1's Garage

If I had to guess, I’d say middle of replacing the top. IIRC the top is completely manual like in a Miata, so they go up and down in a few seconds (I could be wrong though).

^This. I doubt I would have enjoyed my Volvo near as much if it wasn’t for my 90hp Mazda, and it was still a blast to drive.

Yeah well basiclly non of the newer cars are really reliable anymore nowdays.
Its all about downsizing which i´m not a big fan about.
Al those little 3 cilinder turbo engines and that crap arent made for 200K.

Mazda for that matter use a different approach,
instead of downsizing they just use a 2.0 Skyactive NA engine.
Which i would rather go for, then some kind of a 1.0 3 cilinder Turbo with 140HP.
I just dont really trust that downsized crap.

Story time:

My first car was a 1997 Subaru Outback Sport with an EJ22. It was slower than death, but it got me from point A to point B without fail. I got a '98 of the same model for the manual transmission a year or two later, but it was effectively the same thing. After 6-ish years of the '98 I got a 2000 Subaru RS with an EJ251, and that car felt like an absolute rocketship compared to the '98. I’m now on year 2 with the RS and I still love the thing. A couple months ago I rode in my boss’s Volvo S90 and it felt like it had an absurd amount of power even though it really doesn’t.

Anyways, enough tire rambling from me tonight. Whatever car anybody gets, basic maintenance goes a long ways. Oil changes regularly, inspections, and even washing the vehicle can make it last so much longer.

My brother used to own a mid-80’s Subaru GL. I think it had under 80 HP in an all steel station wagon? It was hilariously slow, although having a car with high/low four wheel drive and a 4-speed transmission was amusing.

2 Likes

Yeah my dad currentlly drives a Mercedes.
And i also took my drivings lessons in a Mercedes E250 cdi.
So yeah, wenn it comes to power, i’m kinda used to some.

bUt my dad had several cars over the years.
But the most reliable car we ever had was a Nissan with SR20DE engine.
That car just never failled, its probablly still taxi arround somewhere in Afrika.

The only thing you had to do is changing oil and filters once a year.
And that was it.
It just allways worked, in the end corrosion is what broaght the car failing mot.

Its a fact that older japanese cars from the late nineties are the most reliable out there.

1 Like

Right!

My first car was a 1981 Ram 50 that had less then 90hp (88 IIRC), but it was way less by the time I got it. I still haven’t felt anything near as slow, so when I got that Mazda it felt like the fastest thing in the world, I’d hot rod that little thing all over the place, and because the truck was so incredibly slow the little Mazda legitimately felt like a race car.

Same thing happened when I got the 240hp Volvo.

Anyways, sleep tight.

I had a Nissan 300ZX with th NA 3.0 V6 and it had 220K miles (354055.68 km) or 240K (386242.56 km) (I don’t remember which), which was crazy, because it a sports car that we bought from a teen, then it taught 3 teens to drive stick, and was our daily driver for years. I can’t believe how long that car lasted with all of us beating on it for years, but it did eventually start overheating by the time it was mine, so I let it go.

1 Like

The 21st century Isetta looks kinda cute!

3 Likes

https://www.flyinmiata.com/stage-1-turbo-system-na8-chassis.html

Emissions legal everywhere in the US! CARB EO D-601-3. The only emissions legal turbo

It begins.

2 Likes

Holy crap, you bought that?

I know Donut Media was already mentioned here but I want to bring them up again.

Their production value is so high and they cover so many topics in the car community, they do history, science, top tens, and other random videos that pertain to cars in some way. I don’t think there is a video they’ve made that I didn’t love.
3 Likes

I’m getting ready to do so.

I’m just super excited because 50-state legal means I don’t have to find someone to hot-smog my car.

1 Like

Please feel free to post any of their episode that stand out to you. Like you said

And I totally agree. It’s quickly on its way to number one on YouTube for me.

1 Like

I’m having trouble deciding if 75% more power means I need an upgraded radiator. Hmmm…

Additionally, I’m not sure if I’ve got an LSD. (all 94 miata’s came with them, but I bought this from a guy who races, so he may have swapped it out and neglected to tell me) I guess I’ll find out!

Also, I’m fairly certain that my 2.75in exhaust (which is decently loud now) will be nice and quiet once the turbo is on, so that’s a plus.

sleeper-status.

2 Likes

Very pricey, but smog compliant is a very important thing, unless you want to uninstall and reinstall or “hot-smog” it (not that I know what that is haha).

I don’t have to deal with emissions.

Hot Smog

Verb
To send your VIN to a shady smog station with $200 to get an automatic pass on the emissions test, regardless of vehicle state.

Joking aside, let’s just say that while it’s not legal for me to do, the majority of the legal problems lie with the tech who does it, since he’s been certified by the state and he’s the one who’s defrauding California, not me.

1 Like

Is it a one tire fryer?

The turbo on my Volvo doesn’t really affect how loud it is until it’s on Boost, then it quiets down a bit.

1 Like

It’s making ~100hp, I’ve got 15x8 super stickeys and a slipping clutch. The logical solution to this situation is to add power.

Reason I say that is that this thing couldn’t burn out if I tried. I’ll take it to gravel one of these days and test, but until then, boost it is!

2 Likes

I’ll tell ya though, this thing will turn at any speed I tell it to.

There’s a reason they call these things Go-Kart’s for adults.

1 Like

Absolutely Perfect! Worn out clutch, big ol tires, and more power. Nothing can go wrong.

Miata
Is
Always
The
Answer

1 Like