L1's Garage

Not a fan of the Grand National?

2 Likes

Robert Kubica raced go karts with his friends Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg and won.

Robert Kubica

All 3 were up and coming stars in Formula One Racing. YouTube ‘Robert Kubica crash’ 2007. He limped away from 150 MPH straight into concrete, a little sore. He was one of the best hopes for the future. F1 is very expensive so rules make them shut down for August and December holiday. He was racing a rally car to skirt the rules and keep in practice. The car broke, he couldn’t stop it from hitting the guardrail and it nearly cut his arm off. He was told he would never be able to race again.

Doctors said amputate and he said ‘Racing is my life. Sew it back on’.

Formula One is one of the most demanding careers on Earth. He did physical therapy and races in lesser cars for years. His training earned him a test with Williams F1 last year. They had to hire a younger man for the sponsorship money but Robert got the position of engineering test driver.

I have no doubt that Robert Kubica will be racing in F1 again driving a Williams soon.

Eh, it’s definitely special, but it’s still a Buick.

I’m divided, i told once that i think the whole deal with the GN is, in fact, the turbo V6 engine.
But that thing looks fast, i can’t even imagine how it sounds…

1 Like

Which makes it even cooler IMO (sleepers FTW).

I agree, though they could of done that to any G-body GM, but of course that wouldn’t attract as many people, which is why I’m sure they chose it.

2 Likes

Yeah, something about the 80’s though. My dad had a 85 iroc-z, hated that thing so much.

Italian Retard Out Cruising.

2 Likes

I gave Subie Doobie Doo the brush off.

I liked the snow drift piled around the front.

1 Like

Certainly one of the more beautiful cars.
I read some where that if Ferrari made 1,000 Camaro’s it would have been a classic. But GM made million’s of them cheap and it could only be really good if you rebuilt what Chevy started with after you owned it.

1 Like

Yeah. Definitely a good car, just don’t like the 80s body styles.

1 Like

Rode it up a snowy driveway. Defiantly for fun, and not b/c I am too incompetent to back the trailer down. For fun.

On another note. I think I found some of them 5 valve silly engines.

1 Like

I´m from Europe, basiclly i could import a car from other European countries like Germany or Belgium.
But i´m just looking for some suggestions on decent reliable cool cars.
Preferable a 5 door Hatchback manual transmission,
and a littlebit of power.
Budget for a first car is about 5K €.

I don’t really like cars from VAG group.
Because their reliabillity is pretty poor nowdays.

I would love to help but picking a car for someone else has always ended badly.

Most people buy cars for the brand status, the looks or how it makes them look. Impossible to guess. They don’t care if it is good mechanically, but has a dent.

If the car is an unreliable lemon they will blame you for MAKING them buy it.

Most of all, 99% of the time they won’t listen to you, so why bother?

1 Like

Depending on what country you might be able to find a Subaru Impreza third gen for that price.
Decent to drive, good reliability, good safety features and MT. Both the 150hp diesel and gasoline engines are decent enough, although the diesel can’t be tuned nearly as much as a VAG engine.

Have you looked at importing cars from Japan? There are some nice cars that can be had for cheap. The biggest issue is shipping but since you are in Europe, you have more shipping options that we do in NA. Some that I know,
http://pacificcoastjdm.com/

You may not be able to get JDM sports cars for cheap but there are many hatch backs and what not. He also has a YT channel, PacificCoastAuto that does walk around discussing the condition of the car to the buyer and audience.

Yeah, I’m really tempted to try and pick up an S15 or R34 (they’re legal in US again, yay!) right about now. But I know my bank account won’t tolerate such actions.

2 Likes

The work to get such a car road legal within EU/EEA is almost never worth it for a relatively cheap car.

Interesting.

I know Derek sends a lot of cars to Canada and the EU. Particular Germany and Ireland. In General, he sees a lot of Euro cars repatriated back to Europe. Is it difficult if the car was already made for the market from a buyer’s stand point?

No one had a bad word to say about an absolute legend of motor sport, who passed away on Sunday at the age of 86 and left behind fond memories that stretch across every major category of motor racing.

The man from California will be recalled primarily for a glorious couple of weeks in 1967 when he finished second in the Indianapolis 500, shared a GT40 MKIV with AJ Foyt to give Ford victory at Le Mans and then won the Belgian Grand Prix (on the original Spa-Francorchamps track) in his dark blue Eagle-Weslake - arguably one of the most beautiful F1 cars ever made.

Inventor of the Gurney Flap.

edit:
How could I forget Dan Gurney’s greatest innovation!?
The 1st man to spray champagne on the podium.

2 Likes

If it has the right paperwork and it was produced for the European market it shouldn’t be a problem.

Wow, this story/documentary about the Cursed Porsche known as the Little Bastard is really interesting.