L1's Garage

Yea, and they are putting automatics in motorbikes now too. It freaks me out. I thoroughly never want to ride an automatic bike. That one does scare me a bit. The lack of control. It is a me thing though, they have been proven true enough to be perfectly fine. They are production models with solid rep after all

No paddles. The 1-5 is on the automatic stick. It is kinda like have a 1+2 gear to keep the car down low to make power but, with every gear.

I still agree. Truth be told, Ive never actually drove a manual yet. Every bike ever sure, but Ive only had the semi automatics before in cars.

Hmm, this sounds very interesting, but I’d have to look it up to understand it.

I have driven quite a few paddle shifter cars. I used to deliver cars for an auto auction, so like freeway driving with cars I can’t afford haha.

Man your missing out, even though manual shifting is generally slower than automatics, you have so much mechanical controller over the car. Do you have a buddy with a manual?

I do, I could bug them, but I haven’t. The dash I pictured earlier - an 89 Hardbody. I haven’t done it since my bikes are manual. Different controls, but the same exact thing all said and done.

Also, the sequential of the caddi I am referring to is pretty awful. If you not careful you can just throw and skip 1 or 3 gears. Which I suppose depending on the layout of the manual you could do as well. I think that is the biggest different between a bikes manual and a general cars. Cars are not sequential.

1 Like

FTFY. I might be taking that too literally, but just in case (and for the sake of “the more you know”), there are a few cars out there that are true manual sequential.
The Elemental RP1 is one.

Oh so it’s like this?

Does that count as a car? If so then the motorcycle brands make some sequential like that too I think. Both KTM and the polaris Slingshot. That is closer to the KTM tho. Whatever that is called, I am not sure. It is cool though. I am unsure there is a real sequential manual around. Stock anyways. Ive seen there are plenty that are sequential in race cars and the likes.

It is along those lines yes. It is reverse though? Id have to look. But yea, that but it goes to 5. Although that being said, it is a six speed. Maybe it goes to 6 and I dont know about it. lol. Again i’d have to take a look. And it isnt next to my computer, so itll wait.

It is also possible that 6th is geared to be a cruiser. Which would explain why you wouldnt be able to shift into it unless you are overdriving for short shifts.

Touche.

Ah I was over complicating it then. In my head I was thinking paddle shifters, and trying to figure out how that would work.

BTW:
All the bikes I’ve ridden have very touchy clutches, so a car should be a walk in the park, but you won’t be able to really push it to it’s limits unless you get your own. Riding the clutch is a great way to get extra power out of your car, and feels great when you nail a shift using it, but it wears the clutch faster. Unless your friend is like me (I like trying to teach my friend how to do this stuff when they drive my cars haha).

1 Like

I was under the impression that clutches were touchy. lol. I guess Ill see the difference in due time. Although, I have had bikes with very squishy clutches as well. The vfr800 for instance has a hydraulic clutch. So it works the same way as the brakes do. Let the fluid get “dirty”? (Not the right word, but itll work) And the clutch will feel super squishy. Currently, the new clutch in that vfr is super heavy. Not sure if breaking in the springs is a thing, they might just be stiffer springs. One of the things I wish the shop to take a look at. It feels as heavy as the brakes do, but at the same time, it feels just as smooth as it had with the old clutch.

I defiantly would have thought the car would be harder to work with considering all that weight. My vfr is much touchier then say a lighter bike of the same power.

Guess I have a stuck brake. Felt my brakes after two different trips; both fronts were warm, but not too hot, driver rear was slightly above ambient, and passenger rear was scorching hot.

I suppose I know what I’m doing this weekend now. Good thing the fix is pretty easy, unless the caliper is completely shot of course.

Maybe something to do with the number of clutch disks (one vs what 6 or something), or more like it has to do with the travel of the clutch lever/pedal (levers having a like 2" of travel vs the 5" or so on cars) not entirely sure.

That happed to me a few times on different cars. I would pull the wheel and smack it with a hammer. Non of them have had the problem again, but I might have just been lucky.

Same number of plates in the pack 8 pairs + a single friction plate I think it was. I did count before I put them in. I was supposed to put the same number in. Maybe I didn’t. The old lever didn’t have enough travel. The new one doesn’t either. but it can disengage it enough to roll backwards in gear if I give it a bit of my own force. It’ll put too much wear on it though. Needs sorted out. My personal guess is that it is something to do with the plunger. The fluid goes into the left side of the bike to a plunger that goes through to the right side where the clutch it. That plunger is what lifts the plate to disengage. How the fluid moves the plunger is magic to me. I have no idea. not something I can immediately see.

I had a stuck brake once. then I realized I left the E-brake engaged. go me. A+

1 Like

I wouldn’t know. If I was having that problem with a car I’d check the fluid and if it was good then I’d flush the system, if that didn’t work I’d check any rubber lines, and if that wasn’t it guess I would look at replacing the master/slave cylinder.

Pretty much. It sounds like a pain that I don’t care to deal with right now. So, imma let the shop that will do the enhanced inspection take care of it along with the front wheel troubles. See what they say.

1 Like

I wouldn’t say that.
You are more technical about stuff than most guys. :smiley:

1 Like

Yes ridiculously fun to drive, and dangerous if you lack self-control.
If I get a kid I probably wouldn’t want them to ride one either.
Have you ridden any bikes before?

Of course i do know some stuff a littlebit haha :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

If have been riding on a motorbike once yes.
But on a closed track not open road.
Because i dont have a motorbike license yet.
Choosen to get a car license firstlly.

Track riding is fun, been considering road racing for a while. Might get a track bike next year.

Its cool yeah.
Still concidering getting a motorbike license.

But firstlly i have to go searching for my first car. :slight_smile: