L1's Garage

It is one of those things, that unless you understand what it is like to be on a bike, and understand the differences in safety, most people are against them. That being said, this is coming from a guy who highsided is 550lb bike after a bear of a German Shepard ran out in front of me.

Ive got a buddy with a white and black R1. He rebuilt it from being a god awful stunt bike that he got for cheap. Same guy has an R6 and a GS550? Old suzuki inline 4. I have the yamaha competitor xj550. Another good buddy of mine (The one who picked me and the wrecked bike up) has had a bunch of the old naked inline 4s. I think his favorite is the cb something atm.
Shame your friend doesnt ride. I havent ridden since I wrecked, but that should change soon. Before that I put a solid 150-200 miles a day on my bike.

I really don’t know much about bikes. I just like insane and odd things, so bikes have my attention, but I don’t want the risk driving one here.

There’s also other’s people driving to worry about, and people suck at it here.

Yeah he mainlly uses it to go to certain Race days and motor sport events.
If he been going with him once, were with a group of bikers,
was a pretty cool weekend at the racing cirquit.

1 Like

This is true. At the same time, I like the visibility and maneuverability. Both huge benefits so long as you aren’t being some sort of fool street Rossi.

1 Like

This is why I don’t get why people buy SUVs over wagons (I have both).

I haven’t looked into safety at all, so there’s most likely info there to help me feel more comfortable with bikes, but I really don’t want to get addicted, and I am content with my turbo cars.

SUV market is booming now also in Europe.
But uphere its totally rediculous, because they just put a few inches of hight onto a normal hatchback.
And they allready call it an SUV, its just nonsense.

Allthough i really do like the Alfa Romeo Stelvio QV :slight_smile:

Same here for the most part, but we call those lifted hatchbacks crossovers.

I have a 99 Blazer so it is a proper body on frame SUV. It does handle better then you’d think, but it’s still complete crap compared to my Volvo V70 wagon.

Those old Blazers are cool.
Unfortunatlly we dont see manny iconic old US cars uphere.
Some of them are really cool, like a 56 Chevy Bell Air or Nomad.
50´s and 60´s US cars are pretty cool.

An old pontiac GTO, Chevelle, Challenger, Mustang Shelby GT and sorta things.

1 Like

It’s not really all that old. This one is special because it has the pretty rare manual transmission.

I bought it to tow my projects.

I assume you where thinking of the K5 Blazers.

Yea, when it comes down to it, do what ya like right? I like my bikes over cars, by a lot. I would be perfectly happy to not have a car, but have several bikes. I dont like SUV’s at all. It also bothers me when people say “Get something safe like an SUV.” There are so many things that go against that. They have the same ratings as a car, but are more prone to roll over. Safer how?

Are roll cages illegal? Why has a car manuf not made a car with a cage built in to market it as “safe?” If you want something with higher ratings, I imagine that would be the way to go.

Bikes have no ratings. lulul.

1 Like

I need to get something to tow my stuff as well. I was thinking I would weld a hitch onto my caddi with a 350 chevy swap. But since I aint got lights with I try to jump it, I dunno if Ill wait that long. Even towing something small like a bike is going to cost me 80$ a day.

Yup, like I just said I have this one to tow stuff, and maybe an occasional off road trip.

I’m pretty sure all cars have roll cages built in now, at lest it better with how hard it is to see around the window pillar.

No need to weld it, there’s a tow hitch kit for everything it seems.

My wagon also has a tow hitch.

Yeah those are also cool.

Manuals are pretty rare in the us i guess.

There are built in roll cages. They must be able to survive a roll over, but at the same time, a proper cage cage, is a hell of a lot more rigid. After all they haven’t stopped using them in racing.
Yea, I could probably get a kit. But welding one sounds cheaper. IT also give me an excuse to bug my buddy to come over for a beer and let me borrow his machine to weld it.

1 Like

Unfortunately when it comes to GM products yes very rare, unless it’s a sports car but even most those are automatic.

The corvettes have got automatic options. There are a number of cars with semi automatic options from GM. My 05 CTS is one of them. You can run it as a sequential manual if you so choose. I find it weird, having no clutch to control.

1 Like

I was going to suggest looking up the prices first, but…

That sounds like it as good of an excuse as any to weld it.

1 Like

Yeah well automatics now days have come a long way.
Like the dual clutch or flappy paddle gearboxes are faster then manuals nowdays.
Still i personally prefer manual.

1 Like

Ya paddles don’t count IMO. It’s nothing compared to the clunking of a good manual stick, and riding the clutch to keep your engine in the power band, so much fun.