L1's Garage

5 valve? wtf. How work

Wizardry lol. Give me a sec to look it up. I actually learned about this in an anime lol.
giphy (2)

Ah well there are more engines with 5 valves designs.
I think that Volkswagen also has a 1.8 5V.

Interesting. I wonder how the sound differs. There is a distinct difference in say, my motorbike when it switch from 2 to 4 valves per cylinder. It is like the engine just opens right up at that transition right around 7k rpm. A torque difference as well. Far less torque with the 4 valve.

Yeah i´m not too technical wenn it comes to engine technique.
So idk what the exact benefit of the additional valve would be,
other then exhausint the gasses quicker i guess maybe?
Or maybe more air into the engine.

Should do! Thankfully they’re super easy to work on. Find one with a good body so you save yourself that headache and then you should be able to fix up any mechanical issues without too much trouble.

1 Like

From the gif (assuming I am not seeing it backwards) It would show the third valve as putting more of the air/fuel mixture into the engine. But still only the two valve for exhaust. Either it baffles me. Having more room to enter vs. leave or vice versa.

1 Like

@MisteryAngel it helps the engine breath, and that helps power and RPM. Notice the 8,200 RPM shifting.

2 Likes

Ah cool to know.
Yeah i’m a girl so i´m not too technical on this stuff.
But allways interesting to read about it.

1 Like

Your correct i guess.

Adding an extra exhaust valve isnt probablly going to make much sense right?
If you dont push more air fuel mixture in the cilinder anyways.

1 Like

Yes from what I’m gathering from wiki, that is correct, and I haven’t been able to find anything inaccurate in that anime except the cup of water.

It’s Initial D if anyone is interested. It covers all kinds of driving techniques, and engine types, also turbo vs supercharg, and so one.
https://www.funimation.com/shows/initial-d/

BTW this is a legal place to watch it, and it’s free with ads.

1 Like

Initial D has been on my list. Never got around to it yet. It is very curious to have an odd number of valves though. I suppose simply adding an intake doesnt mean that it is putting more fuel/air into the engine. But it would be able to get the same amount in quicker, allowing for the higher revs possibly.

VVT systems are pretty cool.

Like Honda’s V-tec, or Nissan’s SR20VE engines.
They can do really high rpm’s.

3 Likes

Yea, although oddly enough, my Honda VFR800 motorbike, has low revs even being vtec (For a motorcyle 12.5k rpm is low.) Some of the other bikes rev in excess of 16k. The smaller displacements can get up to 18k from what I have heard.

I should mention that vtec on the bike is fundamentally different. Much more basic then the honda cars. (this is my current understanding anyways)

1 Like

I figured it’s easier to brute force the exhaust out, and have little resistance when trying to suck in air.

Yea, exhaust is easier to release then it is to get fuel/air in. So it makes sense. I do wonder how the piston topology affects things too. Are they pitted for each valve like in some? I have no idea. I feel the need to get my hands on one of these engine to mess around with.

1 Like

how about 20K haha.

Yeah motor bikes are cool, some of them really get crazy high rpms.
And rediculous acceleration speeds.
I have been concidering getting a motor bike license aswell.
But my parents dont want me to.
And i guess thats fair enough.

2 Likes

I was referring to that with the 18k remark. I didnt realize that one was even higher. However talking modern day bikes, I believe the current cbr250rr is ~18k. I wish I could import that bike. Even being a 250 I really want one.

A close friend of my has a Yamaha R1 Blue + White custom.
Pretty cool, but he barelly rides it.