L1's Garage

4 Likes

The RB20 is a great little motor. Only 2L but they can rev real high due to short stroke. As said, the RBs sound great too. Skylines are common as muck here in Australia :smiley:

1 Like

Haha… pig-nose rs13 (as they are referred to locally - and i believe in Japanese in Japan).

Pig nose needs love too

1 Like

Dyno sheet of my old 180sx (95 model, SR20DET). Garrett GT2871 0.87 A/R, front mount, aftermarket exhaust manifold, 3" exhaust, no cat, nismo injectors, nismo fuel pump, wolf3d v500 stand-alone ECU…

Stock internals. Dyno run in 4th gear. Needed cams to get more power at top end, but i got the bike bug and sold it before doing that. Power rolled over at 5800 ish, with cams it could have made 350-400 - the turbo was big enough to flow 440hp easy.

Note the power/boost climb between 80-120 km/h :smiley:

Was huge fun in the rain (stock S15 wheels and tyres). Old school boost hit.

1 Like

my current car :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

V8 truck I gather :smiley:

lol nope.

1 Like

Hmm… interesting. Was sure they were more top end than that?

Needs much bigger turbo :smiley:

It’s got the supporting mods for about 100 more horsepower so i’m considering it.

its a 2.5L yeah?

Something in the 400-500 horsepower flow range would be great on that.

it is but it’s a wrx not an STI. transmission is built up for 400 but it’s a stock engine… wouldn’t give it any more than the low 300s tbh.

Ah that’s what clutches are for :smiley:

But yeah anything around 300-500 hp would make for a quick car, just depends whether you want it quick off the mark and a wide power band or slightly silly top end :smiley:

First aftermarket turbo i had on my 180sx was a HKS GT-SS… usually an upgrade turbo for RB26DETT in a pair, man that was great. Made usable boost at 1500 rpm and about 250hp at the tyres. Made the S13 feel like a torquey v8…

I reckon it would have been quicker around the burbs, etc. than the setup above. But wheel-spin as it comes on boost at half throttle in third gear as you hit the freeway in the rain (above setup) was just hilarious. That feeling of backing off the throttle slighty and it still wants to pull harder due to the boost hit… :slight_smile:

@thro is the devil on @SoulFallen’s shoulder telling him “just 50 more HP, the engine can take it”

Don’t do it @SoulFallen, the engine cannot, in fact, take it. Unless, of course, you want do a forged build. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Can’t avoid forged build if your rods are outside the block

:smiley:

Nah, seriously tho… my advice for turbos is if you don’t mind a little lag (and lag can be hilarious, though it isn’t the fastest way to go. but hey, its a WRX, you want antilag for “rally spec yo!” anyway), go large. Room to grow and they make the boost at lower temperature.

edit:
maybe i should qualify that statement. don’t go stupidly large. but go 450hp flow turbo instead of 350 hp (for example) - to make say 350hp at the tyres. it will make the same power easier (at slightly lower boost) with cooler inlet temps ***. might be a little laggier, but on a 2.5L block that shouldn’t be too bad at all. ideal motor for that 2871 spec i had on my 180sx was for a 2.5-3L motor.

edit2:

*** cooler inlet = less prone to detonation = its an engine safety thing. :smiley:

1 Like

That’s literally the logic with my miata.

And this knob here points to boost controller is the “justify a rebuild with forged internals” knob.

2 Likes

At a shop getting tires mounted on rims and swapped onto the car, the manager’s a bit of a dick.

Oh well, should be the only time I need to get tires mounted for a couple years.

What’s he doing?

Just being rude really.

When I told him what I wanted done (tires on rims, rims on car, everything else back in the hatch) he said “That makes NO sense!”

He’s cut off customers midsentence in the store like three times now to answer the phone and have lengthy discussions.

Told a customer that the shop was booked for tire swap through the rest of the week, the very next customer walks in for the same thing with no appointment and the manager puts them at the front of the line.

EDIT: Turns out the guy he had skip the line is part of a small commercial fleet, he just had another one skip to the front too.

Damn, well, idk what to say about that guy. :frowning: