L1's Garage

I’m going to run a cat on the GTE IS300 simply because I don’t like smelling my car and/or smelling like my car all day after driving it on a little trip. Also for the goal to be able to pass the sniffer if I have to as its become really hard to find places that flat out pass you, but easier to find places that don’t care what is under the hood if you pass OBDII and sniffer (basically they do not do visual). Have a 3" Chevy truck cat on my shopping list to try and pull this off. That plus the right additives, hopefully should work.

1 Like

Your garage will thank you too. Mine is stained from the lack of a cat.

2 Likes

That’ll wash out with a pressure washer. I’ve got the same thing on my driveway from my miata. (it has a cat, I just run that rich on startup)

It cleans up but only kinda… The dark oval isnt going away lol.

oh, okay. Mine comes out just fine with pressure and a bit of soap.

Very very cool

1 Like

Yeah, I saw that and immediately decided I wanted that for the benz.

Looks neat af but I bet its prohibitively expensive.

Probably like 5k. So, if you can get 200HP from it, for 5k, it depends what 200HP is worth.

You think? I think its at least that for the wheel assemblies and motors. The batteries would be even more.

The longevity is another concern I have.

you cant, at least not yet, its 100hp.

I watched the video. He said they could only fit the 50HP motors (one per wheel) on the civic because of the suspension geometry. If my car can fit the bigger 100HP motors, one per wheel, that’s 200HP.

From the video description:

Please note that while this vehicle has been tested with 75hp motors and they are even available up to 100hp, we discuss the version fitted to this particular Type-R which is running the 50hp model (when overdriven at 144V using Prius batteries instead of the 114V batteries as used in this demo car).

They are available but I dont think they’ve tested any of it yet. This is still very much an immature tech. Though I look forward to this becoming mainstream.

1 Like

That’s fair.

The guy said the kit is 9995 US, without battery. That’s waaay too much money at the moment, unless you’re looking to flex.

Timestampped:

1 Like

I figured as much, the parts are very complicated requiring lots of engineering to make it work reliably.

It might still be worth it when you consider the MPG gains. A comptech supercharger kit for my civic is about 5k and only makes about 100hp. Could be 10k once you figure in other supporting mods you might want to do with that, and you would definitely be losing MPG.

The cost is a bummer but think about this:

You dont have to tune the engine
You get better mileage
Its likely WAY easier to install
You gain AWD
No worries about reliability of your engine

Only downside is cost and weight.

2 Likes

One could argue there is the same HP to $$ ratio with boost, the downside of boost is dodgy tuning, the upside with this product is MPGs, leaving the OEM tune and engine alone, CARB, torque vectoring, AWD etc. I’d still wait for V2 or V3 of the product as they work out issues, such as enclosing the gearing to protect it etc. But still, very cool product that captures the imagination.

2 Likes

If all you want is power, boost makes WAY more sense here, and it probably will be that way for years to come but I see the appeal for something like this. I would love to have it on my car personally.

Definitely, let it become mass market. They need some competition though. I’m honestly surprised he hasnt tried to license the deal to some manufacturer to add as a “hybrid performance package” that you could get from the factory.

Having had an SR20DET S13 (JDM 180SX with a 440hp turbo, injectors, intercooler, coilovers, sway bars, strut braces, full aftermarket engine management, R33 skyline brakes, 5 stud upgrade, etc.), i’d say to do it with an S14 or S15 instead.

Far, far better base platform to start with - 5 stud hubs, better brakes, better differential on the S15, etc.

Starting with an S13 you’ll have to spend a fair whack of money to get it up to base S14 or S15 standard… never mind going beyond.

Let’s be honest though there’s no such thing as a stock S13. It’s just a matter of finding one that has what I want I done already and done correctly. I’d like to start with stock but I’d also like to ride a unicorn and summon bowls of shrimp ramen with the snap of a finger.

1 Like

Haha. I bought one. Admittedly a few years back, but mine was 100% bone stock even down to the 4x4 ride height :smiley: Before i got my hands on it anyway.

Even so though, the S14/S15 is a way better platform. If you want wide tyres on the rear, go S14, they have the biggest rear guards to start off with.

S14/S15 have nicer interior too.