L1's Garage

I looked and tried so many of those. I also spent a crap ton of time adjusting sliders myself, but nothing felt remotely right. Best option I found was to turn force feedback off, but I’d rather stick with the controller at that point.

I almost sent the wheel back because I thought it was broken, but then I tried it in dirt and was blown away with how realistic it felt.

Such a shame. Horizon 3 was by far my favorite recent game. Probably 2nd favorite of all time right behind Midnight Club 3

What wheel do you have? Also, what’s your setup like? I’ve got a G920, but I need to get a setup. A friend has some E30 seats he’s willing to sell me, I’m tempted to make a rig from it.

1 Like

Same setup. I have the shifter and everything too.

I know I still need to make the cockpit.

Now I feel like using it. Guess I’ll fire up some BeamNG.

2 Likes

I don’t have the shifter, I rely on the clutch to start my shifts in the miata, kinda like this:

1. put pressure on shifter
  2. press clutch (torque leaves transmission, shifter starts to move)
  3. put transmission in next gear
  4. release clutch

Makes my shifts real quick, I can shift in under a second like this, but it doesn’t work on a simulated shifter. :frowning:

So, I decree that the shifter isn’t worth it for me.

What do you use for a chair? My computer chair rotates and it drives me nuts.

Also, I don’t play horizon. I play forza 6/7

1 Like

I remembered you mentioning this, and I think I have an idea how to implement it into my cockpit when I make it.

I still like the shifter even though it doesn’t feel realistic at all. The clutch pedals helps save it for me thanks to the potentiometer in the clutch allowing you to ride the clutch to keep your car is in the power band (assuming you’re driving weaker car in games like I do lol).

I also use my office chair. It is most definitely far from from ideal, and it bugs me too.

Those are more simulator focused, so I doubt they would have the same problem.
Have you tried it in Dirt, BeamNG, or even Wreckfest?

1 Like

I haven’t. I want to try dirt. How’s beamng?

Which problem? The shifter problem is because there’s no resistance on the shifter. That’s a mechanical issue, not software. An electromagnet could solve this problem though.

Would also make for good feeling shifts.

1 Like

Did some more driving today:

I should note I went hiking again, because hiking is awesome. I’m also really enjoying this car so far. I think I’m up to 130 miles now (picked it up with 24 on it, test drives etc.). I drove it to Ikea today and had way more room than I needed, but then again I only got an end table, a cheap office chair and a three-drawer dresser.

I still have 3/4 of a tank (16g tank IIRC) and my built-in MPG estimate is over the rating Subaru gives it at 35MPG average (Subaru’s is 29 mixed, 33 highway). I’m not all that gentle on takeoff either, and it was far lower when I picked it up. We’ll see how it does on some long drives later this month.

2 Likes

BeamNG + Automation seems like a fun combo.

4 Likes

I’m having so much fun fun with BeamNG. It takes rallying to a whole nother level. When are flying down a dirt road and there’s a small rocks on the side of the road that will just straight up rip off your wheel if you hit one, it gives you and much more immersive feel IMO. Also the wheel works very good with it.

I’m doing some Jeeping at it right now, and I’m impressed with how satisfying it is as well. The current course is just checkpoints, and it’s up to you how you get there. They’ve given me a Jeep with locking diff so that’s nice. And some of this terrain is really intense. I’ve already rolled it twice. Haha

Nah, man. I was talking about the wheels force feedback.

I haven’t picked up Automation yet. Just waiting for it to go on sale, but I’m looking forward to that feature.

1 Like

Oh, right right. I found the FF to be decent.

I need this.

2 Likes

I’ve got Automation (bought it many years ago, long before it was on steam) and am really hoping to get BeamNG.

So far all I really play with my wheel setup is American Truck Sim

1 Like

Sweet baby LS, please let this be legit.

I need this 5.3L in my S10 ASAP, and there’s some great parts to sell. Bet after selling a few parts and scraping the body, that engine will have cost me less then $300. Hell yeah!

6 Likes

You could probably make money on that deal.

1 Like

add a blower for happy times

1 Like

I’m going for reliability and fuel economy. I might put a turbo on it and run 5 or 7 pounds of boost.

I’m trying to make a trip and long distance tow truck that gets at least 20 MPG. I’ll later be shooting for 30 MPG, but I do want it to have at least 350hp.

Interior is very rough, so I made that conservative call. If I had enough time to part it out I could probably break even though.

I guess there is probably something wrong with it.
For that kind of money.

Only 1st and 2nd work in the transmission according to the description, and the interior is shot.

Hmm if thats all, and the rest of the body, engine suspension etc is,
in good condition.
Then it wont be a bad buy i guess.
I mean if you are handy enough yourself, and you know the places to get parts from.
Then it could be a cheap fix.

I just want the engine for my S10, I’m not too worried about anything else, especially since my 5 speed will bolt right up.

Honestly, it’s exactly what I need.

2 Likes

Ah thats good then, if the engine is great. :slight_smile:

1 Like