L1's Garage

Nice, nice. Whatcha working on?

Just my Subaru.

So far it’s had head gaskets, clutch, plugs and wires, and fog lights replaced. I’ll probably be doing brakes all around since at least one rotor is warped, and it looks like the calipers are pretty old.

Good thing labor is free.

3 Likes

And the Subies are easy easy to work on (at least from what I hear). Easy to work on car are amazing.

1 Like

I don’t know about the newer ones so much, but I know up through '07 I think they really aren’t too bad. All the consumables are certainly easy enough, and most other parts are fairly straightforward. The most troublesome repair are the head gaskets every 100k miles or so since pretty much the easiest way to get to them is to take the engine out.

But yeah, general upkeep is easy. Changing the oil was less than 30 minutes from start to finish, and that was including the time spent looking for a new crush washer for the drain plug. Spark plugs and wires were maybe 15 minutes when I learned how to do them a little while back. Changing head light bulbs takes like 2 minutes per bulb.

1 Like

4 Likes

Adding this to my car.

It’s electric, trains are electric, so same thing right. Lol.

Finished:

I did a pretty shoddy job cutting the plastic though. Would have looked good if I got it right the first time.

2 Likes

You just had to remind me.
I had a VW Golf GTI and I bought a BBS front spoiler for it.

I mounted it and brought the car to the shop to have it painted. Those assholes cut off my steel towing hook instead of making the hole in the plastic spoiler a little bigger. I demanded they replace the tow hook and they just laughed at me. Good thing I never needed to use it.

1 Like

Bead on my tire is supposedly fixed, I gotta keep an eye on it to make sure though.

State inspection is either later this week or later next.

I think that’s everything until figuring out the brakes in the Spring?

Aside from more inevitable oil changes of course.

1 Like

WTF! That’s jacked up man.

It’s had 3 or 4 engines and a new body, but it’s still a 1,000,000 mile truck.
The owner is a certified GM Master Tech mechanic and did all of the repairs himself.

Applause sign

2 Likes

That poor toyota.

2 Likes

Swapping the engine a few times, replacing the body, and however much else?

What’s left of the original truck?

2 Likes

The frame and the VIN.

Reminds me of the joke about my grandfathers axe.

Dear old Grandpa left me his axe when he passed on.
I replaced the handle 3 times and the head twice, but still I love my Grandpa’s axe.

5 Likes

I wish I was a gm master tech, lul. Finally got around to messing with the 05 CTS of mine, now that I am not tending the partial tear from my motowreck anymore. Absolutely nothing when I power it up with a jumper. Since the body is still good, maybe instead of fixing what it there, I just start with the 350 blueprint small block I was planning on. The trans needs to go anyways. And likely the rear diff at this point.

1 Like

But did you see the potato gives HP gains!!!

2 Likes

I was going to post that with this meme, but you beat me to it.

4 Likes

That reminds me, I should check my oil now that I’ve put on a few miles after I changed it.

1 Like

I just Googled myself and found a photo I forgot about.

faster

1 Like

Mirror shots are sweet. If it was my car with the mirror it would say objects in mirror are losing.

Screenshot(75)