L1's Garage

IS300s can be had very cheap in the states now. Great platform if you have time and some $$ to wrench- a Supra in sheep’s clothing. Thankfully with companies like Figs, there is now a lot of choice in regards to parts to tune the handling to your liking. Drop-in GTEs from Japan, kits to drop in LS V8s, various transmissions. Pretty subtle 4door RWD platform to get into.

1 Like

An NA supra maybe… unless if you swap it you can’t do much other than make it look pretty.

GOOD NEWS EVERYBODY

The Miata runs a bit rich, but it runs. It stalls at lights once or twice an hour, but I’ve got about 3 or 4 hours of datalogging to dig through and I think I can solve the problem.

So, to share my (stupidity and) problem, I had done the math on my timing offset incorrectly and I needed 2 degrees of advance instead of 8, so now that I’ve got that dialed in, the car runs so much better!

I even got to show an NB who’s boss on the way to burritos tonight. :smiley:

6 Likes

Thats my point, the GTE from Japan is almost a drop-in (swap harness with GE, change two connectors, use EMS of choice). Its a comment more based on heritage, coming from the same company but having the same engine mounts its a Supra with a tux on.
Granted a TT Supra is a different animal, the v160 being bullet proof and now extremely rare, the non-VVTi GTE having more support, the rear end being different etc, but that is getting into weeds. Same manufacturer, both RWD, manual, etc. And outside of strait-line, IMO the IS300 would out handle the supra, its lighter and has great suspension supporting mod options. Before I even had the figs rear LCAs, figs front #2 bushings etc and being in the STX class (now gone), it was not a problem spanking a TT supra’s time at autox.

With current pricing, its far cheaper to get a used IS300 and mod it, than get a used Supra. Even keeping the NA GTE and swapping in GTE internals and using an IS300 NA-T kit would be way more cheaper. In the IS300 skin, it can be a sleeper.

1 Like

Yep, she needs a bit of work on the mid-rpm low load numbers…

EDIT: Pulling some fuel out of the cruising range (2700 - 4200), should help that a bit.

I also need to run my fans in parallel. Currently one of them only kicks on when AC is active, and for some reason, AC isn’t working properly right now. (gonna probably have to wire that later)

1 Like

So I was in my truck changing out a burnt out gauge cluster light and made a cool discovery.

And i’m thinking to myself “WTF, these sound like old worn out 90s speakers but they clearly aren’t” Upon closer inspection realized both are mounted by only one screw and the diaphram design requires more than that (not to mention bass won’t work well without a solid mount) I got creative with zipties (due to there being no good way to screw it in) and got them firmly mounted and the audio is now bangin. Pretty hyped out this $0 audio upgrade.

5 Likes

Thanks uncle bumblefuck. This feels like it can be applied to learning the manual transmission, too.

4 Likes

In the past week my father has replaced three struts on his car, one axle on his car, brake pads on my mother’s car, a fuel line on my old car, and recharged the AC in my old car.

All I’ve done is run to the store to buy some bolts for him and pull a rusty razor blade out of my car.

1 Like

Yeah fathers tend to go ape shit on the backlog when they got the week free.
Dad replaced awning on his trailer. Replaced spark plugs and wires in my sisters car and thermostat, help my brother in law raise his caving in ceiling and supported it with new pillars after they remove a load bearing pillar in the living room a while back and I am pretty sure he would do more if he didnt want to relax a bit. Haha.

I held the flash light during the plugs replacment.
I also got some radiator fluid…

did a complete suspension rebuild on my 01 toyota highlander.
and alignment, and at 215,568 miles still runs like new.
toyota engines never die if they’re properly cared for.

3 Likes

Yep. I’ve got a friend with an ls430, damn thing has 450k on the original power train. Only routine maintenance.

1 Like

Shot in the dark. Anyone happen to have any experience with a C145 flat six?

Lucky me info seems to be pretty freely available. I have no idea about parts though.

Car slid on wet pavement during my commute this morning, made for a fun trip through the roundabout.

Not sure if it was just a fluke or if I should look for different tires…

what tires and what car?

Ohtsu FP7000 on a Subaru Impreza.

I looked them up and the tires get decent ratings and my set is less than a year old, so I’m going to assume there was oil or something else on the road surface I didn’t see in addition to the moisture.

Was the “wetness” new? First hour or so of wet pavement in my area basically makes roads a no-go. Entire streets are oil slicks.

1 Like

Wtf is that thing?!

26b 4 rotor, peripheral port… It’s about 32k worth of engine in a 2.6L form factor.

Naturally aspirated, it makes ~600hp

Wow! Performance per liter much?!

2 Likes

There was light rain and with fog and mist most of the morning, for probably about four hours before I went through.