L1's Garage

I just finished engineering explained’s video on it.

Make sense, I’m surprised I’ve gone this long without learning about it.

I don’t think so. The only people that park next to me is the HR manager and the owner’s daughter, I doubt either would do it. My other coworkers can be dumb, but none of them keep anything that takes razor blades on them.

I’m wondering if a tech dropped it one of the two times I was at the dealership.

1 Like

He really doesnt know what hes talking about most of the time. Just regurgitates stuff hes looked up. I stopped watching him when he said shit like resting your arm on the stick of a manual was bad for it.

That video doesnt really explain why crossplane is good.

This guy does the same but actually does research

3 Likes

I’ve noticed some of the stuff he says can feel a bit off.
That was a great video! I learned quite a bit more from that.

Yea, I’ve seen some of illustrators stuff. There are a number of good videos out there, I am thinking of one in particular, if I remember who did it, ill link you. It was more from an engineering/racing perspective of crossplane and the various types.

Mostly motogp bikes will run crossplanes if you find it anywhere other then a couple offereings from yamaha. V4’s typically dont since they already have that “odd” firing order to start with.

Talking 5cyl’s and I think the Honda RC211V was a crossplane too. I love that engine. A V5. Its glorious.

Edit: As per usual, I can only speak about bikes. I know nothing about any cars with crossplanes. lul

1 Like

Also, in terms of bike engine configs. They are mostly v twins, or inline 4’s. A handful of triples. I can think of maybe 4 brands that have one off the top of my head. V4’s while everywhere in race bikes. I can think of 8 for the street. The difference with that 8 vs 4 is that the price average is over 20k$ for the bike with the exception of the VFR. One is 200$k, The others are anywhere from 25k$ to 40k$. Waaaaay pricer then a 12k$ Triumph triple.

…In case you wanted to spoider to type you a book. Here ya go.

1 Like

They dont need to since the forces on the crank from one piston can make up for the lack there of (TDC or BDC) from the others.

This is only true for a 90 degree engine. Honda/Ducati. If you look at Apprillia they use something narrower and need to counter it

It doesnt matter so long as the pistons arent all tdc or bdc at the same time. The tuono and RSV4 have flat plane with balancers.

Yea sounds about right.

Here’s a question I’ve got. b/c I dont know the answer at all. VR6 engines need balance/crossplane?

I6 is super balanced I think? IT doenst need all the shit that an I4 needs.

Well maybe were thinking about different things here but crossplane doesnt make an engine more “balanced” it removes the difference in torque as the crank rotates.

In a flat plane I4 as the piston pairs approach and leave TDC and BDC respectively the crank has less resistance to motion. When they are in full motion (90° from TDC and BDC) the crank has more resistance and slows down. This produces an odd rotational torque.

Crossplane inline engines are actually less balanced because when #1 is TDC, #4 is BDC and so that creates an moment of inertia that wants to rotate the whole engine, thus a counter balancer is needed.

EDIT: Not trying to talk down, just making sure were on the same page here.

Cross-plane certainly impacts engine balance but it entirely depends on the cylinder configuration as to whether or not it’s better or worse than flat plane.

A flat plane 3 cylinder for example would have two pistons going up and one piston going down and would be inherently un-balanced…

But you can always add balancers to counter this. Thats not why youd use crossplane.

Of course. But you said :slight_smile:

It definitely impacts engine balance.

The use of balancers is a BAND AID for engine balance problems.

There may be other reasons to use a crank configuration where you would use balancers and go for a particular firing order anyway (physical-size packaging reasons or cost mostly), but adding balancing weights will always make an engine less responsive than without them.

In this case I was talking more general. Considering a VR6 is a sort of mix between a V and a I configuration. While I don’t know the specifics for what a crossplane does other then a few small things. (As thro says I was under the impression it does affect balance, but to a much much lesser extend to actual balancers)

Edit: Also making things easy to understand it perfectly cool by me. I design integrated circuits not engines. lul

There are of course configurations where crossplane makes sense. We werent really talking about them.

You’re literally just arguing to argue though so im leaving the thread. I have no desire to debate with you.

eh?

No, i’m partaking in discussion where you made a statement that simply isn’t true. But whatever mate, take your bat and ball and go home etc.

Love the R1, but the crossplane just can’t match the standard i4 screamer imho.

1 Like

V4 is bestu. I desperately want a V4RR, but I havent got 35$k for it. I dont particularly care for I4’s myself in terms of sound. Probably my favorite in terms of part availability, and reliability on track though. I feel like my VFR would be a bit upset if I kept it in VTEC for too long on track. Esp if I ride on the cusp of Vtec ~6500 rpm.

1 Like

I have to say the Panigale V4 is one of the most beautiful things I’ve seen.

I still love the regular i4 sound more than anything tho.