Return to Level1Techs.com

Automotive

mega_thread

cUlTuRe

The above also applies to GTI drivers where I live.

That can be fixed.

Buy manual transmission and pedal box.

Or even better, piss everybody off and put an LS+TR6060 in it :smiley:

Exactly. With older cars like this, you don’t even need a pedal box, you just need the manual pedal lever and a clutch pedal and hydraulics.

But he’s just finished with a manual conversion, so he’s probably not thrilled with the idea of doing that again.

A front clip won’t get you a rear diff :smiley:

Ah, i haven’t had that much to do with old, old cars.

But yeah. Either way if you’re going to be making stupid power out of a rotor you want to put a better gearbox in it anyway. Memory is a bit hazy, but if the standard gearbox is like most mazda gearboxes of the era, it is made of double brie.

Those RX7 5 speeds are good for just short of 400tq. I entertained the idea of a swap for my miata since it’s a direct swap.

The miata 5 speed is good for about 300tq, but its shifts are so smooth. After that, you start shearing synchros. I know a guy who went through 3 miata transmissions in a 5 month period.

If you’re making more than 400tq in an RX7, you have a deathwish. (and a major issue hooking up)

Haha. There are rotaries over here pushing over 1000 hp (more rotors admittedly, the torque on that would be over 400 at a guess… lots of boost). A friend had a series 6 back in the early 00s that maxed out the local dyno :smiley:

Yeah, I’m talking on the stock 2 rotor. If you want to go high power, you’re at least swapping in a 3 rotor, which means you’re probably dropping 20k on the powertrain at a minimum, so you might as well include a transmission.

As someone who’s driven an RS7, a bone stock Miata, an AMG GTS and a large number of “boring cars”, I can attest that slow car fast is more fun than fast car fast.

Which is why I really regret selling my Buick Park Avenue. That thing was too fun.

Lol I’d be pissing my self off. /s
I’m ok-ish with other people doing it, but the whole point for me is the Rotary.

Owning a rotary and constantly breaking apex seals will cure that :smiley:

I definitely don’t want a daily it. I want a junk one so I can beat on it on the weekends.

fixed :smiley:

Speaking of 400 ft-lb. I got a new car with that spec.

Actually it’s a 2015 not a 2014 so it only has 327 :disappointed_relieved:
Supposedly mine accelerate harder though.

Same dif. Lol

Heh. My ute has about 400 ft-lb.

I think its something like 390 stock, but mine isn’t stock.

This only has 140hp, so it would lose for sure. 0-60 is 7.2 for this thing.

Replaced the leaf?

Yup. It’s drivetrain is way better than the Leaf, but the interior is absolutely trash compared to the Leaf.

Also:
2013 to 2015.
60k miles to 28k miles.
Base model to fully loaded.

Why did you replace the leaf? Isn’t the range lower on this one?