L1's Garage

Installing a new battery and giving my dad’s merc some TLC before I sell it.

1 Like

That whole deal really sucks.

Sounds like you lost a bearing. I’ve been there.

You don’t want to keep it?

hope not… Sounds like it could just be bits resting against the idler.

As much as I want to do the 04 STI driveline swap (and I actually convinced my father to lend me the $1000 i’m short for it) If i can’t find one soon I have to rebuild this transmission it’s my daily driver i need this car and i simply can’t afford new wheels and tires for a later STI swap.

I don’t have space for it myself, and my dad doesn’t have time for it. So it’s better to hand it over to someone who will care for it and use it.

1 Like

I assume you checked the junkyards around you?

Not about to put a transmission in that has more miles than mine because that’s all that exists.

Hmm. I would say you could probably rebuild it, but that’s really adding up the dollars. If you did it yourself it probably wouldn’t be too bad, but I’d guess you can’t/don’t want to do that.

This need’s to be here.

Stole this from @anon4458306
https://forum.level1techs.com/t/the-lounge-2018-06-june-philosophically-alcoholic-edition/127986/14158?u=teckmonster

Test fit. Still needs a lot of grinding on the trans tunnel.

1 Like

Why the hell would I rebuild one other than mine? Lol unless if you’re suggesting I rebuild mine which is already the primary consideration.

I thought you were trying to get the 6 speed. So I was suggesting to get one of those from a junkyard, and rebuild that.

I might have gotten lost somewhere.

you don’t rebuild 6 speeds that would cost as much as my car.

options are rebuild my 5 speed or somehow find an 04 6 speed those are the only viable options.

10-4. I was unaware they were so expensive to rebuild.

The tolerances are extremely tight and it’s beefy that’s why they don’t die that’s also why if they somehow do die you write it off as a loss lol.

1 Like

It’s already 94°f, plans to steam clean the underside of the engine will wait until it’s cooler

1 Like

Lmao. was researching gear swaps for my 5 speed and stumbled on this

1 Like

That’s my problem too. I need to finish my S10, but it’s been about 85, and I have to work on it out side (no shade) so I’m not going too.

1 Like

You could cut some serious grass with that thing.

1 Like

Your Honda could cut some serious grass… /s