L1's Garage

Good. My friend almost got killed by a jack, so I just have a high sensitivity to them. A necessary evil for our love of cars.

my dad’s buddy lost a more teeth and got some gnarly wounds on his face after his chevy 1500 (lowered) fell on his face.

My neigbor when I was 18 died as one of his jack stands snapped in half. I was first responder at 1 AM as I heard a 4 year old screaming bloody murder came to find his chest was crushed by the trucks frame.

That has to be the saddest thing I’ve heard this month. I can’t imagine that 4 year old was at all okay.

My Dad had his 1972 Chrysler Town & Country wagon up on a hydraulic piston jack when the steel rod snapped. He had just got out from under the car and half of the front disc brake was stuck into the pavement.

He wasn’t using the jack stands that were right there in the garage.
I always use jack stands now or I have a few concrete blocks for that purpose.

None of the kids were the older brother (12) was convinced his father was going to be okay. I didn’t think the event really had any impact on me I went on for years as normal but when I had to jack up my WRX and get under it last year to work on changing the timing belt I froze up for a minute had to sit down and think myself through it I couldn’t just go under my car. I ended up grabbing two extra jack stands than needed so I could feel comfortable.

1 Like

Found some good ones.

http://get-primitive.com/wheels-rally-race-street/29-team-dynamics-pro-rally-wheels.html

2 Likes

Yeah. I can imagine that really fucks with you. Can’t have been easy to see.

In my friend group, one of the girls was abducted and murdered. Every now and then, one of the friends, always the same one, asks “where’s Chelsea?” as if he completely doesn’t remember what happened. Loss is a crazy thing and people deal with it in strange ways.

Price was dropped $300 on that barn MG.

$1900 now. Needs an engine rebuild and a new coat of paint for sure.

1 Like

Sounds like you’re the seller :stuck_out_tongue:

Just thinking out loud.

All I’ve got is a yard of Subarus.

1 Like

I’d love to get my hands on it, but I’ve got no place to put it, not to mention the fact that it’s on the other side of the country.

I have the space and the means, but not the money :cry:

I need to figure out how to pay off either my student loan or my car loan so I can afford a place to live too.

Friggin’ money.

2 Likes

Tackle whatever has the highest interest rate first. (assuming you’re making your minimum payments)

You’re telling me though, I can’t find a condo for less than 400k where I live. :frowning:

It’s about $900 per month before utilities to rent near where I work. Combined with the measly wages for young adults and whatnot and I straight-up can’t afford a place to live unless I am fine with only putting in about $20 per month into savings/rainy day fund.

But there’s plenty of houses for ~$100,000 which would equate to just over $500 in mortgage, so go figure.

That’s part of the problem. I feel like everyone says “save, save, save.” while at the same time, they’re saying “When are you going to buy property?”

To which I respond: “are you selling?”

Shuts them up real quick.

1 Like

Wow, that sucks. I’m paying 260 a month for a room in a pretty stylish & almost always clean house. No garage though.

Damn, that won’t even get me a storage unit.

That $900 doesn’t even include off-street parking for some rentals…

So I’m going to try to see if I can go for a house that needs some fixing instead.

2 Likes

I too am keeping my eye out, but it’s so hard to justify moving out when my rent is so low.
Not to mention the housing market is losing its mind around here with so many people moving in. It’s a seller’s market for sure. I’m considering looking into other nearby states for a house. I need a garage.

My parents bought a house 2 years ago for 120k (not bad or good price) and sold it about 4 months ago for 170k.

1 Like