L1's Garage

That’s pretty awesome. So basically megasquirt but better? Shit. I need a LS for the Miata.

1 Like

Yeah, and there in all the 01+ Vortex pickups too (aka you can pick that ECU up at pick & pull for around $50). I wonder how hard it would be to use it with other engines haha.

Yup. Even as over done as LS swaps are done, it’s really hard to say no to them when GM makes them soooo customizable and swap friendly.

1 Like

What’s funny is we actually built our own LS using a 03 vortex short block, just got modified intake, heads, oil pan and accessory mounts.

1 Like

Taylor ray is doing an LS Miata swap series on Youtube it’s almost concluded.

Also your friends thoughts about a manual transmission are special to put it kindly but whatever his car he can make uneducated decisions if he wants to.

1 Like

I thought you worded that very well.
I just assumed since it was going to be a daily he wanted it to be an auto, and just trying to justify it with those reasons.

from the information @SgtAwesomesauce provided his reasons don’t seem at all normal, or even based in reality. if you want an auto transmission that’s fine but this just sounds like nonsense.

Sounds to me like he’s just more comfortable with an auto. And that’s fine.

2 Likes

Look, I came here to share a project I thought would be cool. My friend is giving his car 6x the power it originally had. I really appreciate the shit talking.

There are a number of reasons he wants an auto. Not everyone wants arthritis in their knee by 35. Not to mention that a modern automatic (double clutch) transmission is superior to a manual in every way except fun, and even that is arguable.

This is one reason. The car currently has a manual that barely goes into 2nd gear.

all you mentioned was wheel spin and fear of torque as justification which happen regardless of transmission type.
Don’t get pissed at me for painting your friend as a dolt.

@SgtAwesomesauce you very clearly made it sound like your friend had no idea what the hell he was getting into that’s your fault doesn’t make me a shit talker.

sighs heavily

I should have asked about the plastic covers on the rocker panels, and inspected the pinch welds much more closely. I see a replacement in my future. Talk about me being starry-eyed, this is embarrassing…

at least I know where the colony of ants was living, though.

2 Likes

Enlist help from the ants

I kinda hosed them out of there, I think they have other priorities than helping me weld my car back together, lol.

1 Like

You Monster! Those ants had names.

They’re 1st priority is to fubar your car so they can live peacefully /s.

It’s unfortunate, but I hope you can thoroughly enjoy it anyways. I don’t remember if you’ve mentioned it, but do you have to deal with inspections?

The excitement of looking at a car you really want is super hard to keep under control. I’ve bought tons of cars and I still fail at this.
My latest addition was a mistake for that reason, but I will make it great (despite still finding new problems).

Yep, otherwise this wouldn’t have been anywhere near as much of a problem. The main peeve about the rocker panels is that I can’t jack the car up at the points unless I want a lovely chip-packet sound and a mound of dust under the car. I have to both drive this car a full tank of gas and weld in rocker panels before it’s even slightly ready for inspection. The scrapyard up the road is shut otherwise I might have had a chance in hell of getting my hands on a pair. I know a couple of guys who might be able to help me with the welding. In the meantime, I’ll see what I can do about the other stuff - the oil pan, the power steering and brakes.

w00p w00p!

Time to pack your bags and move to Idaho /s.

Because I’m lazy I jack many of my cars up from the front in the middle of subfame. Obviously don’t put any limbs under the car until you have redundant support though.

1 Like

There are two floor jack points on the car you can use. You’re going to need a low(er) profile jack for it.

1. Behind the oil pan there is a rectangular plate with four holes in it. You can actually see it in one of the underside pictures you posted.
  2. The rear differential.

For stands

1. Subframe near the front wheel well. Behind the front wheel the subframe will form a ‘T’ shape of sorts, place stands where the legs of the ‘T’ intersect.
  2. Mounting plate near the rear wheel. In front of the rear wheel there is a triangular shaped plate with a rounded tip with some bolts through it. Stand right on the plate will do it.

I’d suggest using some pieces of wood to spread the load a little and soften contact between tool and car.

2 Likes

Just got another couple of stands from the store (I only had two because working on my Civic only ever needed two). Thanks a ton for the tips :smiley:

Please be careful with stands. Keep the hydraulic jack under it and give the car a good shove once you’ve got it up to make sure it’s not gonna fall.

Yep, I know. I would post a picture of my poor rust bucket on stands but it is now dark.

2 Likes