L1's Garage

It really is a nice design.
Only the dashboard is a bit too modern for my taste.
But of course that is what most cars are heading towards in the future.

1 Like

I don’t know much about SUVs/trucks of those years. I think Toyota’s from those years where pretty nice. My uncle had a 2012 (IIRC) Toyota Highlander that was nice. It had keyless go / smart key, and navigation (which I only care about because of Bluetooth).

I would probably go with an SUV in your situation.

Edit: It has a 3rd row seat, and gets 20mpg city / 25 highyway.

Happy Easter Fools guys.

Here’s a video from Engineering Explained.

Interesting.
A Tesla model 3 costs 6 cents per mile while a typical Honda or Toyota hybrid costs 5 cents per mile.
That’s before one factors in that a Tesla costs twice as much, has limited range and the batteries wear out.

They can take my internal combustion engine when they pry my cold dead foot off of the accelerator pedal!

1 Like

Interesting, my Leaf costs me 2.3 cents per mile ($7 to drive 300 miles).

Oh, for the supercharger stations, that is pretty lame, but I disagree with him dissing on the battery. A Tesla Model S battery will still have more range than my Nissan Leaf ever did when it has 300,000 miles (at least the particular car that I did the math on), and at that point you’ve probably already done an engine rebuild on a gas car.

Like I said before just get whatever you like. These tests/articles always seem biased one way or the other.

Edit: I found the post were I was talking about it. The post above it has everything to do the math with (very interesting stuff IMO)

I love both, and will probably always own both.

1 Like

There’s no point in resisting EV’s, they are gonna happen no matter what comparisons get made to hybrids or oil-burners.

1 Like

Most of them are, I don’t plan on selling my g6 but if I do I’m reinstalling the factory speakers and head unit, I have a few hundred dollars invested in my sound system and I don’t intend on buying new gear when I get another car.

1 Like

It’s a pontiac g6 and the unit is a 10 inch sub/amp combo by rockville, I thought it was pretty cheesy but it actually sounds amazing for the pricepoint. I ended up running out of time to decide where I was going to mount it and put it under the passenger seat. It makes plenty of bass and it isn’t ear rape so I’d say it’s a success

1 Like

That sounds crazy. Is it a low profile sub?

Yeah its less than 3 inches tall, let me find a link for you.
Found it:

1 Like

That actually would be great since I want to put subs behind the rear seat of my S10.

A lot of pickup drivers were in the reviews talking about how well it fit under their bench seats and behind the seats in their cabs.

Unfortunately I don’t have an under seat for the rear. It has to go behind it.

Usually in a 2 door or 4 door car the subwoofers go in the trunk, mounted behind the back seat.

Bass is meant to be felt more than heard IMHO.

1 Like

I’ve heard that, and while the trunk would have been the best place for sound, I use my car like a work truck. I pile wood, tools, and building materials in the back all the time and I’d hate it if something happened to the sub because a screwdriver punctured it. While under the seat isn’t the best place it still sounds and feels great, while being safe from all the shit I pile in back.

2 Likes

What year is your S10 anyway? Do you like it and has it been reliable for you? I’ve been looking at smaller pickups and I can’t justify draining my savings on a Tacoma with 100k miles on it.

TL;DR:
It’s an 02.
I absolutely love my 99 Blazer (don’t know with the S10 (just got it)).
The Blazer was rock solid with 220K miles on it (again just got the S10, so not sure).

It’s an 02.
I just bought it less than a month ago, and I’m going to manual swap extremely soon (the manuals really liven these things up), so I don’t know about reliability, but I do have a 99 2 door Blazer with a 5 speed that I’ve had for over a year and with 220k miles on it it was rock solid and ran strong (like really strong) until I failed to put the radiator cap on all the way before lending it to a friend, so it got overheated badly.

I love the Blazer (despite me thinking SUVs are dumb) it was just so much fun to drive thanks to how short and light it was, and how great the manual was to shift, you could shift it as fast as you want, but it was also very tactile at the same time (best feeling trans I’ve felt yet).

They only have 190HP, but they have 250 ft-lbs of toque, so they do very well towing. There supposed to get 17 city 23 hwy (15 city 20 hwy for the crew cab) I got 17 MPG driving the Blazer like I hate it.

The Blazer was decently quick too, 0-60 just under 10 seconds. Raced it against my 2013 Nissan Leaf and it beat it pretty soundly (not bad for an old SUV with 220K miles on the clock).

My S10 crew cab.

And my ZR2 Blazer that bought for $600.

More pictures and details for the Blazer, also have my throttle body mod in this post.

That S10 looks great for being over 15 years old. I too hate SUVs, but I always liked Blazers and 90’s Cherokees. My aunt had a Blazer that went for 290k miles, her daily drive was 3 miles of dirt road full of potholes and steep inclines and another 10 miles on the highway and city, she beat the thing to hell and wouldn’t give up. I manage to get my G6 down her driveway and only bottom out a few times. I live in the sticks and most of the kids in my high school have these lifted Cherokees. They break down, a lot. The kids that don’t modify their Cherokees just have to follow maintenance schedules and they run great with 200k+ miles on them. I like the combination of vehicles you have too, an S10 and a Blazer alongside a Leaf. I’m going to keep looking into S10’s though, my main concern is reliability and ease of maintenance.

Petrol is pretty cheap in the US.
Up here its really expensive, otherwise a big American pickup would be pretty cool to have.

1 Like