Automate Steam Remote Play? Headless boot to working?

I have been thinking about this for a while but have not gone and done anything about it due to terminal laziness.

Is it possible to have a headless boot into working Steam Remote Play, self contained that it is on its own network so it does not need to co figure that on the go.

I am thinking either having the PC act as its own router and then broadcast out to the phone over its own wifi.
Or
Have the phone run a wifi hot spot the PC will auto connect to and then hopefully the remote play on the phone will just connect like normal.

For some detail and backstory, I have an Intel NUC and i use it as a low powered gaming box. Its nice and i get along with it well but there was so.e dicussion about mobile set ups in the funny thread https://forum.level1techs.com/t/post-your-tech-cringe-gore/113501/5452?u=zibob the other day and it got me back to thinking about this.

If it works I literally just plug in my nuc, and connect my phone and that isthe entire setup done, carry a controller and we good.

So partly this is, a kick in the ass for me to do it, and a feeler for if anyone else has done this or will now try it before i get home… And likely be lazy for a few more days/weeks before i try it myself.

Any obvious pitfalls?

Might have to ask about work arounds for the network if that does nit work like i want.

Hardware:
Intel NUC 6i7KYK
TCL 10 5G
Steam Contller/8BitDo Pro2

Thats it ideally.

I’ve did that but with Nvidia streaming and Moonlight since it had better encoding and latency. Also works fine on VM with GPU passthrough. In my case I had some challenges to solve:

• Session must be on and logged in. MS removed that handy user control panel item where you could easily set auto login. Inputing username and password into registry solves this.

• Doesn’t work if GPU is not connected to an active display. I think those types of streaming do some kind of memory copy of what the GPU is displaying so it can send it through their pipes. I’ve bought a cheapo Dummy HDMI that supports 4k@60fps. Not sure if there are software solutions for this.

Lastly you’ll want hardware assisted HEVC for better image quality and compression. Also keep a VNC server running (not RDP) to fix stuff if something goes awry.

I highly recommend testing Moonlight (or Sunshine for AMD/Intel) along with Steam Remote Play.

Thats okay, I thought as much, my mobile PC is auto login. So that should be okay.

Good shout, I didn’t think of this. Okay for now I can test with a display attached and work as if its not just to get some attempts at it, a dongle if it works well. Thankfully for that I have a HDMI port, MiniDP and USB-C Video out, likely just go HDMI as thats the default usually anyway.

May or may not be a thing on a 6700HQ… Will look into it, all this is pretty new to me so still not 100% with it all.

Now its over my head, I get the idea just never used anything like that before. But good idea.

Interesting, as above not super familar with this stuff yet, I have only ever used the default Steam Remote Play before and was… Okay with its performance.

It should be able to HEVC according to Intel Quick Sync Video - Wikipedia. If you can’t HEVC that’s fine but the difference between h.264 and HEVC (h.265) is very noticeable.

1 Like