Automate GUI Testing?

Lately I’ve been looking into automated software testing for my dotnet 5 projects. The console and web applications are pretty easy to test, but I’m unsure how to properly test GUI applications. So far I’ve built several apps in Electron.Net and QML.Net. Does anyone know a good option to test these types of GUI apps?

So far I’ve looked at things like Selenium and OpenQA, but Selenium won’t work on anything but websites and OpenQA seems to be focused on OS installation testing. I’m all ears for any ideas though.

1 Like

when I was an intern, I got to play with a solution that HP had, but that was 5ish years ago… maybe they still have it ?

sorry i cant remember what it was called.

ALM/Quality Center, they sold it to MicroFocus. No idea on pricing, but serious case of vendor lock-in (might be a concern for long running projects). As alternatives, from what I understood, mostly Selenium and Gherkin/Cucumber are used.

It is possible to test Electron applications with Selenium as it’s just a web application underneath anyway, but might depend on configuration.

But QT…that’s another matter, don’t really have anything there.

ALM/Quality Center, they sold it to MicroFocus. No idea on pricing, but serious case of vendor lock-in (might be a concern for long running projects).
As alternatives, from what I understood, they use mostly Selenium and Gherkin/Cucumber, at least our teams appear to (though I have not much involvement with the .Net stuff, so might be different there)

It is possible to test Electron applications with Selenium as it’s just a web application underneath anyway, but might depend on configuration.

But QT…that’s another matter, don’t really have anything there.

Would Jest and QTest work?