Australian NBN Fixed Wireless Fair Use Policy Enforcement

Any Aussies here going to be effected by this as well as me?
https://www.nbnco.com.au/utility/fixed-wireless-fair-use-policy

Just for reference my ISP plan is 75mbps and they offer 43mpbs during congested times.

The lowest i have ever got it is 70mbps.

Does this seem FAIR?

• profiling someone as heavy users for 200GB 400GB a month limit shaping applies

• congested periods are activated based on the the tower capacity 70% for downloads 50% for up???

• 1mbps up/down limit for P2P

like we arent on ADSL seens like a pretty big band aid.
i may as well get starlink with the 1TB cap

Edit: my ISP confirmed this also applies to Business plans

1 Like

Wow. Tell them good job on managing to be worse than American ISPs

2 Likes

Its ridiculous my P2P server backup from work got limited to under 1mbps and it was after 11pm and im on a business account. My ISP cant do anything about it.
How would I get around this? could VPN that type of traffic with my pfsence router?
Would that even work as its using a algorithm?

Wut?

Pls don’t be aussie, pls don’t be aussie…oh it’s… everything…

We have skymuster from one isp and FW from aussie, and I really hope they don’t do this…like do they want the internet here to go back to the dark ages???

nbn will identify any customers that have exceeded 120GB uplink usage for a calendar month and notify Retail Service Providers about these customers.

120GB is like… a day and night of movie binge watching 4k content… Wut? What even… and yeah ik uplink but their 200gb downlink is the same and what about students who use zoom, loom or Google classroom? What about the fact that even compressed, video online just munches on bandwith and… this is so lame.

I’ll ask my roomie, he knows all the proper tech stuff but I’d say no because in the end it’s nbnco that gives the rsps the bandwith and the rsp that gives it to us so…

1 Like

Yeh Im with Aussie Broadband - effects all ISPs they have no control over it

Meanwhile, all the city fttn and fttp ppl are getting 1GB and unlimited…

This is really, really, really lame. Like, the lameness levels here can’t even be calculated…

2 Likes

Like 1mbps P2P when the tower hits 50% upload … why?
so if they have over populated a tower that mean theoretically it could be restricted indefinitely. Ive already made a complaint. There has got to be a better way of QoS this.

1 Like

He said to me “that’s nbnco for you”…

Starlink just became a possibility oh wow!! Silver lining!!! Silver lining wew! Wait…starlink is completely separate right?

This both sux and is cool at the same time​:rofl::sweat_smile: I posted the link in the lounge and I am going to ping @tjw so he can see this ick too though he probably has lovely fancy and fast fiber

I mean like…I am no expert but seems to me they could build a better tower thing? Maybe realize when they have people who are going to be on FW and they have a tiny tower, well they need a bigger boat😥

Is that like the same as overbooking flights sort of?

1 Like

yeh lol but instead of the plan crashing it turns into a boat and has to sail your packets to you!

1 Like

Fixed wireless should never have been the answer for internet connections, especially when fixed. nbnco are trying to avoid spending more money on fixed wireless than they need to, they have a small slice of LTE frequency and people are overusing it (as they should have a right to, they pay for unlimited)

at the risk of being political about it, blame the liberal government and the nationals, they don’t actually give a shit about rural technology

1000mbps HFC cable here haha, but yeah, wireless is a shared spectrum and soon as you get lots of subscribers it turns to shit

nbn should either be investing in 5G or fibering these areas, but they wont because they’ve gone so embarassingly over budget that they can’t justify more taxpayer money for it

1 Like

not yet, but we are reading from their shitty playbook

Oh i h*te you now :innocent: :joy:

Lol I’d love to see them try… my roomie says he is feeling the call to elon. So maybe just maybe that means we might be linkin in the stars soon :star_struck:

1 Like

lmao I had to make damn sure I bought a place with internet that wasn’t poos and wees, I put effort into that

They have it should start deploying next year. Its mentioned in the fixed wireless policy too.

I just rang AB and change my plan to business for the same price, now ill start sending complaints lol

One day they’ll do the same thing for fiber and then i’ll be like HA!:blush:

A bunch of miles away they have fiber for the rich ppl… but we’re fortunate to have fw and SM

https://www.nbnco.com.au/learn/technology-choice-program/online-quote

If there are fibre drops nearby this might be feasible for your place

They already do for fixed line but i don’t think the threshold is defined.

1 Like

Yup, for the low low price of $28000 not including having to pay for the box thingy, and thats if nbnco would agree.

Roomie is looking up starlink on his compy… plz plz plz plz, I will cook him roast lamb for a month if we starlink😊

Are you gonna be okay? Or is this gonna really mess stuff up for You?

ye it all depends on what it’s worth for you, it’s a few years worth of shitty internet and you place gets valued more cause it has decent webs

1 Like